Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotax 912 Questions

Couple of questions,

All the answers are in the maintenance and installation manuals, but there does seem to be a lot of individual takes on whats writ. My personal answers based on using only PULP (95) with occasional ULP (92) but absolutely no Avgas.-Couple of questions,

Comment

Couple of questions,

Comment

Clarification needed ere.The 912 and 914 come with instilation books that clearly state that these engines aint for rotorcraft.We know they are perfectly matched to gyros but also keep in mind, the opperaters book will be for FWs, not gyros.And FWs do not have the same flyn specs as the average gyro. [ cept for them glorified bathtubs]In Brians case, a light single seat that spends most of its time puttn round slow n low, you couldnt be more removed from a FWer instilation.Fws blast off, trimm out for most efficiant speed for best milage, then land.Nuthn like a gyro, so the setup should reflect this.Im no expert, but iv sat in one for a while, and iv found the following;how often do you change your spark plugs ?Every 500 hours or there bouts. [ 800 seems too long for cold mor"ns.]How often do you pull out & clean the magnetic plug near the oil filter ?Didnt know there was one. Have you a return line from the carbys into the fuel tank ?Never on the 912, but its good policy to have a leclec pump [ 4psi max] below the tank, specialy in summer.Do you change your oil filter when changing the oil? & at what hours.50 hours, oil n filter.What revs do you cruise at assuming you have your prop pitched for 5500 max engine revs.?Im only a anarexic pissant, so i can get away with the prop limiting it to 5200 on average, and usualy cruise at 4000-4400, dependn on DA and fuel.

Comment

I do have all the Rotax literature and thats all fine but I know that as Birdy mentioned, gyros operate a bit differently to FW"s plus I reckon there"s a few more opinions out there.Thanks to those who have posted. All good infoYes, I do have a lecie pump. While Rosco was doing a few jobs on this gyro, he pointed out that it didnt have a bleed [ or return ] line to the tank and asked if I wanted one. Rosco reckoned it should have one so I went with that but now its a pain cause it stuffs up a fuel flow meter ! It obviously worked just fine for 1000 hours without one.

Comment

Gday Brian. Is there any reason why the fuel flow sensor can"t be placed in the fuel line after the bleed return line?

Comment

Hi Tim, great to see you on the forum again !!!Good question Tim, I will have closer look tomorrow at the plumbing.Another point I was going to make is that the hours at which the engines are supposed to be overhauled [ 2,000 [ hours seems to vary as well. Supposed to be one in Queensland done 5,000 hours ,not sure if this is without overhaul or with?

Comment

Hi Tim, great to see you on the forum again !!!Good question Tim, I will have closer look tomorrow at the plumbing.Another point I was going to make is that the hours at which the engines are supposed to be overhauled [ 2,000 [ hours seems to vary as well. Supposed to be one in Queensland done 5,000 hours ,not sure if this is without overhaul or with?Don"t trust Queenslanders, they are all fishermen. The facts get streched a little.Graeme.

Comment

Don"t trust Queenslanders, they are all fishermen. The facts get streched a little.Graeme.Yes, Queenslanders are like Texans - everything is bigger up here. Just look at Monro"s gorilla mate.

Comment

How often do you pull out & clean the magnetic plug near the oil filter ?Didnt know there was one. Sad

Comment

Working...
                    X