Carby Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carby Ice

Well, found out today something I hadnt experienced since way back in in 94/ 95 with an old Suby EA 81 and thats carby ice ! 8). Havent got the carby hear working [ trying to find a couple of foot of 2 1/2 inch scat tube] ans this morning didnt seem much difernt to most other mornings untill about 30 minutes after takeoff when I felt some extra vibration happening. Knew it wasnt the rotors or prop but I could still get more power although it didnt make any difernce to the vibration, next thing I suddenly got an extra 500 revs & I knew what was happening so I put it down for 30 seconds & then took off again and it was mostly fine after that.The EFI on that old 2.2 has some advantages huh.

now chopper that"ll get your new rotax mates fired up. you can be a stirrer for a nice old bloke.

Comment

G,day Brian I got snow bike glow plugs in mine works well

Comment

Hi Nunto - can you elaborate, maybe with some pictures?Regards.....Chook.

Comment

Skydrive carb heaters work a treat, and simple.

Comment

Skydrive carb heaters work a treat, and simple.Thanks Birdy I have just looked up your Skydrive and it specializes in Rotax carby heaters.I am interested in the EA81 types which Chopper began the thread with. Generally over here (the West) we are taking an external feed from the exhaust pipe and putting that air into the air intake.Regards........Chook.

Comment

Hey Birdy,I saw those years ago, didn"t know they were called skydrive heaters or anything but wasn"t sure they"d do much... are you saying that you"ve tried with and without and seen a difference?

Comment

now chopper that"ll get your new rotax mates fired up. you can be a stirrer for a nice old bloke.

Comment

Skydrive carb heaters work a treat, and simple.Where did you get yours & how much?My 912 has that big rotax airbox but I"m waitng for some scart hose to arrive to be able to hook up to the exhaust pipe, not sure if there will be enough heat to prevent carby ice but I guess I"m going to find out.Anyone else got the rotax airbox ??

Comment

Where did you get yours & how much?My 912 has that big rotax airbox but I"m waitng for some scart hose to arrive to be able to hook up to the exhaust pipe, not sure if there will be enough heat to prevent carby ice but I guess I"m going to find out.Anyone else got the rotax airbox ??No, not me.Graeme.

Comment

are you saying that you"ve tried with and without and seen a difference?I had ice all the time with the old 80hp 912 till I made up a heater.Wen I went 100hp, I didn"t f*** around and put a SD on at the start.Been driven 912Ss round for a few hours now, in all sorts of humidity, temps and DAs without a single cof. So yeh, I recon they work.The kit setup is constantly on, but it wouldn"t take a brain sergin to hava simple solenoid tap to turn it off in this [usual] dry asa chip desert.Where did you get yours & how much?Got mine off your mate willi, coz I think he was the importer. [ and for the price, I thort I was getn a gyro withit. >]Apparently the bloke selln them brumby choppys has um to.

Comment

Reason I asked about where to get them was I see the price in English pounds & it looked a bit scary

Comment

probably a good time to ask this question [ a bit late , but good] I made an ally plate which has water pumped around it "between the carb and the manifold " the manifold isn"t heated . is that going to do the same, to reduce carby ice,

Comment

Only young yet Tony

Comment

Just a reminder of the conditions required for carby ice - always an eye opener.Regards........Chook.

Comment

Working...
                              X