Sharing of knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing of knowledge

I have only been flying gyros for about two years now and have logged about 350 hours fortunately without an incident. It seems to me that once I went solo the real education began by talking to people with more experience, watching and trying new manouevers within my capabilities.With the recent spate of ultralight accidents I was thinking about the vast amount of knowledge you more experienced pilots have and the possibility of getting all of you or at least some of you together to pass on information that you can only get from experience not textbooks.I for one would be happy to travel anywhere for this type of "instruction".

That"s a lot in 2 years. Isn"t it amazing how at whatever level you are at, you just don"t know what you don"t know.

Comment

Hi Rick, yes good idea this thread. You sound like me when I started.... should have seen the sh!tty weather I used to fly in.... fog? what fog? Windy, no, its not that bad (as the windsock tears itself off the pole) Any chance to fly off I went. Gyro"s are really like a drug... once you"re addicted... thats it!One pearl of wisdom I might throw in, When you have friends and family come to watch you fly, you dont need to start throwing the machine around to any degree more than you usually do trying to impress people.... you dont have to.... people are just impressed to see you fly.... they are even more impressed when you land at the end and dont roll it in a ball, or worse.

Comment

There"s lots of people who havent a clue about a gyros flying capabilities & unless someone on the ground can explain a particular manourver to the by standers, they may well think what you are doing is just plain dangerous when in fact thats not so. Always a great idea to fly well inside your capabilities when flying in front of friends / camera etc. Always give yourself plenty of margin eg, distance from people /cars / houses. I remember reading in the FW crash magzine about a pilot taking off decided in a moment of madness decided to do a low pass after getting airborne to scare someone sitting on top of a vehicles roof parked in close vicintiy to the strip. I"m not sure how the pilot felt when his low pass

Comment

Always a great idea to fly well inside your capabilitiesMost pilots won"t get within coowee of their machines capabilities.So don"t push your luck, your not as good as your sac is telln you. (Testosterone)If you must do it, and have the inevertable bingle, don"t blame the machine, the wether or tyre pressure.It crashed coz you crashed it.Your the PIC, remember that.

Comment

PIC.For every pilot, it means "Pilot In Control."For every builder/ pilot/ maintainance dude, it means "Person In Command."For reckless, ignorant people, it means "Person It"ll Cill."

Comment

That"s good advice Birdy! Your last 2 coments.I will use them wisely

Comment

I think there is a lot of good points in nearly all the comments here . really good value.

Comment

Hey Rick, Get a senior pilot on the **** mate you"ll get some valuable info some unforgettable, a bottle of rum $45... experience....priceless. And still here to tell you the story.

Comment

Good advice Blakemorem, might have to grab a couple of bottles, take a trip out west and track down some of the characters on this forum.

Comment

Working...
                    X