Rotor direction of rotation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotor direction of rotation?

I havent posted anything for about 3 hours, so I thought y"all might be getting bored and miss me

A good point on the rotor bolt relationship Mad Muzz. Bit like the old cabletool drilling rigs they used left hand lay cable instead of right hand lay for that reason to keep the tool joints tightening up during the impacting at the bottom of the stroke. But the buggers still came loose at times in hard ground.

Comment

geez you have been bored , good point thou. reminds me of when I built mine. I was thinking smart and got 2 starter motots exactly the same . common parts was smart I thought. when I was setting up and testing the pre rotator and spinning it with no blades on never even looked at the direction . on the day of the big test and hand spun up the blades [ patroney"s too ] and hit the button. holy ****. with a big bang. I can laugh now but .

Comment

Dead right Des, should be better for us

Comment

At least we have fixed pitch. Imagine jumping from one chopper to another with the opposite DOR. It effects which pedal you push...

Comment

At least we have fixed pitch. Imagine jumping from one chopper to another with the opposite DOR. It effects which pedal you push...It actually doesn"t - the subconscious technique you"re using is simply to keep the chopper pointed in the direction you want it to and the feet just do the rest automatically. If you think about things too much that"s when you"ll get twisted up. People can jump from Squirrels (clockwise rotation) to Jetrangers and the like (anticlockwise rotation) without giving it a thought.The same principle applies to keeping a gyro straight, too.Mark R, Melbourne

Comment

Mark, I think you will find that hatrack meant so you know which pedal to stamp on if the engine stops in a hover.... if the pilot was to "slam the jandal" on the wrong pedal in a flame out in hover.... might end up getting very dizzy, very quickly

Comment

It actually doesn"t - the subconscious technique you"re using is simply to keep the chopper pointed in the direction you want it to and the feet just do the rest automatically. It only causes accidents wen you step from one of them assabout trikes to any other aircraft.Got me buggered how they can get away with it.

Comment

Mark is absolutely correct. A good pilot uses left or right rudder as and when required. You don"t just stomp on it and wait to see what happens - use in the correct sense should be an instinctive reaction.Birdy"s point is also valid. How they got those reverse primary control lawn darts passed aviation standards has got me beat. Somebody was asleep that day.

Comment

Yeah, push to flare.... what a great idea....Thats exactly why the gyro fraternity ditched the overhead sticks back in the day

Comment

Sum body was asleep that day Tim ??? I"v never seen an awake public serpent yet.

Comment

Yeah, push to flare.... what a great idea....Thats exactly why the gyro fraternity ditched the overhead sticks back in the day

Comment

Hi Mad Muz,Engines stopping in the hover are practised by the nasty dude in the other seat twisting the throttle off suddenly. These manoeuvres are universally called "hovering autorotations" which is extremely odd because there"s absolutely no autorotation involved. 2 things happen real quick - the first is the nose starts to turn "cos one foot has been pushing on one of the pedals to counteract torque which has suddenly vanished. The 2nd thing happening simultaneously is that the chopper is starting to drop.

Comment

I remember taking my missus to America...yeah wasted some money,one day i said "hey Helen come and watch this",as i pulled the plug on a sink full of water. Ya see that...the water went backwards!!!. She was so impressed she said GET A LIFE. I"m glad she hasn"t got a degree in Thermodynamics and also grateful the little science demonstration was crap a complete myth apparently. I also am grateful she didn"t Google it. I"m thinking left torque right torque pending on prop rotation compensated with left or right rudder. So automatic i think i have a little right pressure on takeoff looking at prop from rear it rotates anti clockwise. Oh by the way the sun"s magnetic pole is going to flip this year we will be none the wiser unless you own a power company or maintain a power grid. The earths magnetic pole has changed about 75 times in the last 4.5 billion years and is about to flip again Grid to magnetic has gained a degree or two in the last ten years. Maybe I"ll try the plug in sink a few years time and a little left rudder. Oh and don"t order pizza after dinner you will be a bad person for a day. What happened to lamb cutlets did GM sheep shrink. Just go to bed hungry and think about when a lamb cutlet used to fill half the plate. And if you think you have it tough think about your dog... actually don"t think about your dog they get it pretty good these days.

Comment

Oh and don"t order pizza after dinner you will be a bad person for a day. What happened to lamb cutlets did GM sheep shrink. Just go to bed hungry and think about when a lamb cutlet used to fill half the plate. And if you think you have it tough think about your dog... actually don"t think about your dog they get it pretty good these days.
                              Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Working...
                              X