Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things up ere??It"s a desert.Nuf sed.

Comment

That so called desert country can grow some top feed & its amazing how many fat cows can be walking about.When its bad though, its plain awful !

Comment

This so called desert got drowned (53" ) in 2010, got 90% burned put in 2011/2012, and Nuthn since but wind n drift sand.Got me buggered why the moos are still fat n breedn like rabbits ???Apparently they don"t need grass.

Comment

Lucky you don"t have Gidgea poisoning on your side of the Simpson.When I was at Glenormiston , seeing bullocks turning themselves inside out with agony, 30 seconds later dead, not very pleasant.If anyone seen a dog take 1080, same thing [phluroacetate {sp?}]Ross
          Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Yeh, we got plenty of gidgee, but the 1080 stops bout 100km east of ere.We just get costic bush instead.Rots their guts out, takes months to die if you don"t find um first.

Comment

Lucky you don"t have Gidgea poisoning on your side of the Simpson.When I was at Glenormiston , seeing bullocks turning themselves inside out with agony, 30 seconds later dead, not very pleasant.If anyone seen a dog take 1080, same thing [phluroacetate {sp?}]RossThis " Gidgea poisoning" is that after the leaves get wet from a shower of rain ??We have a small tree called apple bush /cabbage bush & after a shower of rain, the leaves are deadly on cattle. Few hours later & there"s no poisioning.

Comment

From wot I know ( which is FA) most of the gidgee that grows over the GAB has 1080, but only at seeding.Wen there"s no seed, it"s all good.I"v seen a cow witha gut full of gidgee hava drink, and didn"t get 50 paces from the trof.There"s a true story bout gidgee poison.5 blokes were flyn from the Isa to Alice ina FW and Hada prob with one of the fans spinners.They were over Argadargada and Ol mate had strips at all the bores for his 182 so they reckoned they"d take advantage of one and try n fix the broken fan spinner.Turned out the donk was buggered and the remaining one wouldn"t get them off the ground, so they stayed put.Fresh tracks on the road had them thinkn sumone would go past ina coupla days, besides, they had plenty of water at the bore.Just on sundown they reckoned they"d top up their water bottles.Waited for the one n only cow to hava drink then, as they were headn over, saw her stagger about n drop dead.Didn"t even kick.Ol mate found them 5 days later, half perished and pissed himself larfn wen they mentioned they we"re go,n to hava drink, but after see,n wot happened to the cow..... .

Comment

I think the poison is there all the time, maybe more potent at different times I"m not sure.If there is plenty of feed [grass] cattle are not going to eat a lot of gidgea leaves. If you get a poor season and not much feed, the cattle will start to eat the gidgea. Move em to another area/paddock if you have the option. Try not to get them hot, move em steady. Even hold them up before going to a trough, and let em cool down.But I suppose if they have a gut full of leaves, then can"t do much.When I was at Winton was a bit of caustic bush [naked lady - or whatever people call it] , but stock only ate it if no grass around.Ross
                  Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

Monofluoroacetic acid is found in lots a plants, we have Heart Leaf or Poison Bush on our place. I heard a story on the ABC radio last year that scientists have geneticallly modified a type of bacteria that will break down the poison in ruminents however it hasnt been released in Australia due to it being gentically modified and the fear that the bacteria may impact the effectness of 1080 in feral animal control. Some experts believe it wont cause problems with 1080 bait because the Genetic modification has made the bacteria only able to survive in an anerobic environment which is what a ruminents stomach is as opposed to an aerobic enviroment that dogs and pigs stomachs are. Rob

Comment

Im in the process of organising a gyro trip out to Cameron Corner in the next few months, it will be interesting flying over "Chopper Reid" country now that your famous!!!!

Comment

Hi Ben,There is about eight of us meeting at Narromine and from there the track will be Cobar, Tilpa, White Cliffs, Tibooburra and then out to Cameron Corner. Heading back via Thargomindah, Hungerford, Bourke and Coonamble.Should be fun, as long as the weather cooperates.

Comment

Working...
                        X