Deal of the decade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deal of the decade?

I just got back from picking up a 91 Subaru Liberty GX, the entire car, quite nice it is..... 2.2 FWD manual..... got a permit and drove it home

I"ve never heard of anyone using a 91 ECU MM. It"s usually considered too complicated. The simplest is the 95-96 ECU No. 22611-AB640 and mass air sensor 22680-AA160 (5 pin) You"ll need the plugs chopped off the loom also. It"s what I refer to as the "Maloney system". It all seems a bit daunting at first but if the dumb x kiwi son of a pig farmer can work it out so can you

Comment

Thanks for that Max.... I must admit I find all this computer BS a bit daunting

Comment

Thanks for that Max.... I must admit I find all this computer BS a bit daunting

Comment

Speaking with some experience there Paul?

Comment

Speaking with some experience there Paul?

Comment

That"s why I keep telling teenagers they need to do everything NOW, while they still know everything....Before they get old and decrepid like us Paul

Comment

If the 91 has those part numbers MM then you"re in like Flin. Maybe someone out there has pulled it off. I learnt off Brian Malony just before he "left the planet" (I don"t like the word "Dead") Maybe your idea will work but you"d have a lot of wires on your machine. The less the better. I now run a micro tech system. Very simple. No knock sensor. No Throttle position sensor, (just a micro switch to tell the ECU the throttle is at rest) An Ox. sensor if you want. And you can adjust anything from the cockpit.

Comment

Thanks Max, it boils down to a lack of experience with EFI and a lack of cash for an after market computer.... I will have a go at my way and ask for advice on here, if all else fails I will have to get a wolf or microtech computer. I guess they are fairly easy once you get to know a bit about them?

Comment

A bit of a bugga, I changed the oil and filter all good, and changed the spark plugs. Someone has obviously washed the engine at some stage and got water in the recesses for the plugs. I dried them and cleaned the sockets the plugs are in and changed them.... they were rusty and dirty on the porcellin and hex nut, naturally, the last one I got too (left hand side of engine, closest to back of car)

Comment

Just on that point you can get a copper lead grease and apply a little to the spark plug thread and it wont pull on the alloy thread next time you undo the plug. Even when you are undoing spark plugs, Anticlockwise about quarter turn then clockwise then anti clockwise half turn until thread is progressively free this is a good way of protecting the alloy thread on the head, and they collect sand on the port holes, good to vacuum this out too,you don"t want to get this in your thread. Of course they do this at car service centers, they love your car...and your money.Mike.

Comment

Muz, the problem is most likely just a stuffed thread, it was fairly common because you are fitting new plugs into a "blind" hole and many home grown mechanics cross-threaded them into the alloy. Once this was started it became hard to re-start them straight. It"s not usual to have a crack without a coolant leak. A heli-coil is an easy and cheap fix (without having to remove the head), especially if the engine is removed. Three other possible causes are:- 1, Pulling the threads by over tightening the plugs, 2, Incorrect plugs used that are too long in the thread (the overhang inside the head gets carbon buildup which grabs and tears the alloy on the way out. And 3, Plugs not tightened correctly allowing them to hammer the threads to destruction.Don"t remove the head/s unless necessarily because there are a few other important complications that you need to be aware of.Still the deal of the decade in anyone"s language.

Comment

Thanks Blake, U stuffed a piece of garden hose in the vacuum cleaner tube with rag blocking/sealing... had a poke around the caveties with the plug in it and then vac"d out the chunks

Comment

Thanks Tim, roger all that

Comment

It all seems a bit daunting at first but if the dumb x kiwi son of a pig farmer can work it out so can you Hey Max, If you are referring to Dazza, I hope you are just kidding. Dazza is a good bloke in my opinion, the only thing he does wrong is call Subaru"s some funny name, other than that he has been very helpful and hospitable... not to mention he does actually know a thing or 3

Comment

Working...
                              X