Fly'n around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly'n around

Hey gyronaughts Ive been flying around lately and trying to get more sharp with my skills. And no I'm not captain risky just learning more about maneuvering and not over imputing or over compensating or just learning the parameters. Here's an example. I was flying coastal as usual and the beach was all clear so i practiced emergency EO and lined up at about 100 ft all good and followed a inland river behind the shore line at about 300ft and followed the bends of the river. Not say after a hard right i would straighten up then hard left, straighten up and so on. Only thing was i felt lift with the slight feeling of neg G so my natural input was climb with slight power on. I was discussing this with a CFI and he said yeah i can see whats happening you need to follow the bends like a flow on approach when i straight n level i've added to rotor energy from the turn and gives more lift then you are back sticking and washing off air speed then going for more power ald loose the flow on effect. so to follow the bends in the river i need to put more into the turns. So i dont think i will try cause i recon that will require some

you lost me after you said EO. but I will be eager to see who said what.
    and then I would have a question of my own about flying. only thinking about this the other day.
    thanks mike.

Comment

Following rivers at 'relative low level' is a lot of fun Mike and good flying skill practice however I avoid it here because if my donk suddenly quits one may have to wrestle with a giant (protected) lizard.

Comment

Ok first when i said EO i meant engine out, simply shut the throttle and just line up the beach and approach it straight n level to about one hundred ft then ease power on and climb back to about 500 ft. If i track south along the beach i have the ocean to my left and an inland estuary to my right and shrub country further to my right. If i did engine out following the estuary i would be landing in shrub country whatever the altitude. On this track i have to contact Brisbane center to get updated on restricted area which is a military bombing range which is generally not active on weekends but not always so have to check and it's standard procedure for safety flight regulations.Anyway whatever the track be it following say a bush track river etc or just practice at one thousand feet i was just wondering if any one had to add to this experience. with say hard left to right turns and changing from these turns do you get slight negative and if so why or what is causing it with the input. What i'm doing is hard right then ease to straight n level then hard left then ease straight n level at the transition point i seem to experience a slight neg g. Well feels like that and also some air speed too from memory. Any way i spoke to a CFI and he will come up with me next fly and see what I'm doing cause i cant figure out what input is causing this or how to compensate or what is causing this condition from the maneuvers. Hope i haven't just caused confusion and ya sorta follow what I'm say'n.
        Mike.
        Last edited by blakemorem; 01-02-2017, 07:35 AM.

Comment

aaaaarrrrg does anyone know how to get around the YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO POST THIS when you click post then loose half ya no all your comment soooo frustrating.
          Mike.

Comment

• RossM
            RossM commented
            Editing a comment
            maybe the forum is timing out while you are typing?
            Go back and edit your first post and delete the double up part.

O.k., first when I said EO I meant engine out, simply shut the throttle and just line up the beach and approach it straight n level to about one hundred ft then ease power on and climb back to about 500 ft. If I track south along the beach I have the ocean to my left and an inland estuary to my right and shrub country further to my right. If I did engine out following the estuary I would be landing in shrub country whatever the altitude. On this track I have to contact Brisbane center to get updated on restricted area which is a military bombing range which is generally not active on weekends but not always so have to check and it's standard procedure for safety flight regulations.

Anyway whatever the track be it following say a bush track river etc or just practice at one thousand feet I was just wondering if any one had to add to this experience. with say hard left to right turns and changing from these turns do you get slight negative and if so why or what is causing it with the input. What I'm doing is hard right then ease to straight n level then hard left then ease straight n level at the transition point I seem to experience a slight neg g. Well feels like that and also some air speed too from memory.

Any way I spoke to a CFI and he will come up with me next fly and see what I'm doing cause I cant figure out what input is causing this or how to compensate or what is causing this condition from the maneuvers. Hope i haven't just caused confusion and ya sorta follow what I'm say'n.
            Mike.
            Last edited by RossM; 01-02-2017, 06:11 AM.

When I'm doing tricky flying Mike I'm up and down on the throttle like an old maides blind. If she's overspeeding power back, if she's slowing, power on. Use the stick to balance. Fly by the seat of your pants. 1000ft! I know a few cowboys that would pass out with altitude vertigo if they had to go to 1000ft.
          Last edited by mad max; 01-02-2017, 03:46 PM.

Comment

G'day Mike,
            if your doing sharpe turns, experiencing negative g and increase in speed at the same time you need more back stick when you turn. Every time you turn sharply the nose will drop which also produces an increase in speed.
            Try doing 360 degree turns at 1000' ( for safety ) without losing altitude. The tighter the turn the more back stick required. You will also need to add power to compensate.
            Also be bloody careful doing tight turns while flying low as you could go from a headwind to a tailwind with disastrous consequences as some " mustering" pilots have found out.

Comment

Yeah WILCO Rick and Max 1000ft is nice in summer cowboy vertigo is one way of putting it 4500ft is good for economy x country,

Comment

aghhhh!!!!!!! lost half of it.

Comment

so I deleted it anyway. the delete works dan.

Comment

Hello Mike, what machine are you flying, are you using the rudder and does it feel "floaty" at the straight and level part as you go from left to right or vice versa?

Comment

Yep i think thats it " a little floaty" and I always initiate turn with rotor then follow with rudder almost simultanious. That's so automatic it takes some thought but the main thing is what combination of things cause the floaty feeling at straight n level part. I always have slight back stick until i am sure of my parameters to avoid power decent but these inputs are not significant just there so to to say. I'm thinking the rotor is gaining some RPM during turn and when straight i could be getting some lift till it settles down Could this be what's happening. I will be back across it with a CFI so no cause for concern just wondering if anyone else feels this in maneuvers and whats causing it whether its input or machine I've noticed it a few times and hard to explain if you know what i'm saying. Oh and its a MTO Sport.
                      Mike.
                      Last edited by blakemorem; 10-02-2017, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• RossM
                        RossM commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The tighter the turn, the more RPM your rotors will pick up.

When you are turning you increase the "g" force on the machine which slightly increases rotor speed. During Roll Reversals that g force is relieved as you roll out of the turn and increases again once you start the opposite turn. That temporary relaxing of the g force is perceived as getting slightly lighter in the seat, whereas in fact it is just a return from 1+ "g" to normal 1 "g" as the rotors return to normal. There is no problem here, this is quite normal. If you feel uncomfortable then ease out of the turn a bit more slowly or pull a slight climb as you are rolling out of the turn.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better than Tim. Try and visualise what the rotors are doing in the turns and what the air frame is doing in the turns. If you can do that you will understand why you get the feeling that you are getting. There is alot for the mind to process when you are coming out of a tight turn into another, but it is a hell of alot of fun.

Comment

is it an open frame or do you have a pod ?

Comment

Working...
                          X