Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Aera 660 GPS

Ladies and Gents,

Just wondering if anyone owns and uses a Garmin Aera 660 GPS.

I'm currently looking at purchasing one and would appreciate a bit of information that I haven't been able to locate on-line.

Regards,

Trooper
    Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite......and furthermore, always carry a small snake!

Hi Trooper
    I don't own a GPS or have ozrunways
    But if I did, I would go Ozrunways
    Buy a tablet or take one from your kids.
    Can use the tablet for whatever else you use them
    Subscription for Ozrunways is probably ?? $100/year.
    there is way more on there than you will ever need

Regards...Ross

Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

As Ross says Trooper a lot of people are using Ozrunways on mini IPads these days. Personally I like using a GPS and currently have a Garmin 795 which is great. I have had a Garmin 550 in the past which was difficult to see on bright sunny days. The 660 looks pretty dam good though.
      i have used Ozrunways on an IPad a couple of times but it overheated and turned off twice.
      ill stick with a GPS.

Comment

Thanks Ross,

I tried OzRunways for the initial trial, and they even doubled the trial period, however I just couldn't get it to work. Computers and I aren't really on the same wave length. During that trial I emailed OzRunways a few times and called a number of people, including the local RFDS pilots and a commercial pilot I know, who also didn't know anything about it. The few people that did have a look at it during that extended trial period just shook their heads. I was thinking that I would eventually get it, but just have to wait until I can find someone local who can show me how to get started and use it. I'm sure I will find someone eventually. We couldn't seem to get any tutorials on it, except for one grainy video clip where we couldn't see what the poster was doing and it all went too fast to absorb it. I recommended to OzRunways that they need a training environment (a sandpit) where one can have a play and follow tutorials and examples.

I'm looking for a good GPS to use in my local area just to confirm my position, and for the backup to OzRunways.......that's if I can ever learn how to use it. It just made my head spin, and thought that I could well end up just sticking to paper, rulers and protractors.

I looked at the Garmin Aera 500, however the 660 looked like a better option as it had a larger screen with better resolution and seemed like it was easier to see.

Regards,

Trooper
        Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite......and furthermore, always carry a small snake!

Comment

Thanks Rick. That's good to know. The Garmin was intended to be a backup, but that I'd use more frequently on local flights just to confirm my exact position and hopefully more user friendly than the ipad and OzRunways.

Hmmmmmmm, ipads!!!! Computers, and these other associated black magic devices of today, and I don't get along all that often. I have an iPhone and it allows me to set up a signature when I reply to emails. Friends are often entertained when they receive these replies from my phone with this signature block which reads.......

Regards,

Trooper
          (sent from my oversized, micro-buttoned, despised, detested and hated mongrel iPhone!)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by TROOPER View Post
              Thanks Rick. That's good to know. The Garmin was intended to be a backup, but that I'd use more frequently on local flights just to confirm my exact position and hopefully more user friendly than the ipad and OzRunways.

Hmmmmmmm, ipads!!!! Computers, and these other associated black magic devices of today, and I don't get along all that often. I have an iPhone and it allows me to set up a signature when I reply to emails. Friends are often entertained when they receive these replies from my phone with this signature block which reads.......

Regards,

Trooper
              (sent from my oversized, micro-buttoned, despised, detested and hated mongrel iPhone!)

Ha ha, lol. I know the feeling. Love the signature. I will have to see if I can work out the signature thingie. (Y)

Aussie Paul.

Comment

Once you get the hang of Ozrunways it is an incredible tool for flight planning. I have used it on numerous trips around the country and the accuracy of the fuel burn is amazing as it has the ability to adjust for differing wind conditions.
                I plan on the IPad, fly on the GPS.

Comment

Hard to go past a dedicated GPS unit. So very reliable and a absolute must really, even if you are a gifted map reader. I do remember my gps not getting a signal for about 30 minutes one day but it came back online no problems.

Comment

Do any of you use your phone as a GPS in the gyro? If so, do you use special software that will show actual position not trying to show your current position on a road (as most car gps will try to do) - if so, would be an easy option. However OzRunways looks handy for staying out of controlled airspace, airport positions etc but does look complex to setup.

Comment

Nope, my gps had a specialized job to do &that's to make me look good which is one tough job!

Comment

Originally posted by deandob View Post
                        Do any of you use your phone as a GPS in the gyro? If so, do you use special software that will show actual position not trying to show your current position on a road (as most car gps will try to do) - if so, would be an easy option. However OzRunways looks handy for staying out of controlled airspace, airport positions etc but does look complex to setup.
                        As part of on Ozrunways subscription you are allowed to have it on two devices, so as well as my iPad I have it on my phone as well which I use as another backup for my gps. Unfortunately a phone cannot be used as a source of navigation as the screen is too small according to CASA.

Comment

Working...
                        X