Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical for taking PAX, which one to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical for taking PAX, which one to get?

Hi Folks,My Class 2 Medical has just expired and I wanted to ask which is the easiest option to take as ASRA gives two options to comply with when taking PAX, either:a) Class 2 Medical, or b) standard set by Ausroads for commercial vehicle drivers.last time I renewed my Class 2 it was painful, i.e lots paperwork and time consuming. i"m interested to hear from anyone who has had experience with plan b option.ThanksAndrew

I think I"m talking about the same thing, I just went into my doctor and asked for it for my gyro licence. he knows I fly because we"ve talked about it before, and him being an ex-rfds.[ he said he doesn"t do aircraft licences , I quickly put him on the spot by reading out the required specs for the commercial comparison. so with the commercial comparison he was happy to do. if he said no I would remind him that he was too over weight now to go back to rfds. [ turned into a right little porker] ;D

Comment

Hi Andrew,I went for option B on my last medical and it was easy, just print out the forms, fill out what you can yourself and the doctor completes the rest...... Good luck!

Comment

Hi Andrew,I went for option B on my last medical and it was easy, just print out the forms, fill out what you can yourself and the doctor completes the rest...... Good luck!Thanks Rick

Comment

Howdy Andrew,I suggest printing out the latest AusRoads Medical Standards and having them with you. Many doctors aren"t particularly familiar with them, and many don"t have copies handy for quick reference.Cheers,Mark RMelbourne

Comment

Interesting question Andrew,Let my Class 1 Medical lapse 3 yrs ago as was tired of either previous DAME(s) and-or CASA constantly reading ECG incorrectly and asking for annual treadmill workout.I invariably got sore knees running on the machine, the cardiologist enjoyed our yearly commiserations and reinforced in jocular fashion that someone in the chain had misinterpreted (again) but I still had no cardiac difficulties just like the year before and the year before that etc.Of course the Audiologist and Optometrist were handsomely rewarded every few years for making sure my eyes could see my ears and the IMVS testing vampires ensured my various internal systems were functioning appropriately.In reality, the annual pilot medical was actually a thorough medical review most blokes avoid like Leprosy and being a pilot perhaps has done me a considerable favour.It ensured I paid better attention to the things we all let slip over time like our weight, our dietary habits, and crucial to aerial pursuits, our current heart function.We all spend considerable $ on flying aircraft and other silly pastimes, so why not spend what amounts to a small fraction on own own health?None of us are getting younger and blokes are unfortunately the worst for concealing their niggling and perhaps life changing, ailments from both family and their GP (especially when a failed medical could equate to no more flying).So this year I renewed the Class 2 medical which still took an hour with all the questions CASA insist your DAME ask you and I accept that with good cause.My DAME is a local pilot (built his own RV6) and coz we have mutual patients, he probably took longer than usual chatting about matters extraneous to my health.Sure it cost $230 for the hour (well spent) some more for CASA to process (not so fond of that but who is) and $200 more to that mob for my ASIC renewal.Medical standards for Heavy vehicle operators of course are less stringent than CASA Class 1 or 2 but I imagine your GP might still insist on a long consult for his trouble.He or she is doing you a favour beyond your singular desire to operate aircraft. Use the time wisely to perhaps talk further about your prostate, sleep problems as we get older or any other worries that keep you awake more than they should.Carrying passengers is a heavy responsibility I take seriously like yourself and fervently wish more people driving cars in reckless fashion felt the same as us pilots.My beautiful wife and exasperatingly observant children comment of course about the $ I evaporate on my aircraft and other machines not of their inclination.However they care about me immensely and actually never query what I spend on medicals or other indulgences designed to keep me alive and well.Not so long ago my wife and I were flying over Bass Straight across Tassy into Hobart at night on instruments on top of cloud. No, not in the gyro.Beautifully calm evening just under FL but as we regained VFR on descent about 40 NM out of Hobart approaching Mt Wellington where the ATC would keep us circling over the bridge to allow 2 heavies in front of us to land first, my wife casually remarked it was not a good time to have a heart attack.Not sure if I gained a few beats as you do with such idle commentary but I regained composure rubbing my knees recalling my treadmill experiences some months earlier.SincerelyMike Loder

Comment

Howdy Andrew,I suggest printing out the latest AusRoads Medical Standards and having them with you. Many doctors aren"t particularly familiar with them, and many don"t have copies handy for quick reference.Cheers,Mark RMelbourneBig thanks Mark and to everyone"s post here - very helpful indeed!TailwindsAndrew

Comment

Good post Mike

Comment

Working...
                X