Russian 3 seater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian 3 seater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVShwLPWQBIMad Muz, you like "V" tails. may even be a radiator up above motor.Nick, check out front wheel suspension.I wonder if it is at full forward stick with two passengers?
    Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Thanks, Ross, for this interesting find!I would have thought the the lateral seats should have been a little further forward, but it obviously worked. You"re probably right about not having much forward stick left, although flying with the stick close to the forward stop is nowhere near as potentially hazardous as having the stick close to the rear stop. The rear stick situation can obviously result in not having enough back stick left to flare properly. All the forward stick situation does is that a point is reached at moderate to higher speed where the stick is on the forward stop and any further acceleration will simply result in a modest nose up tendency and a climb.I would really like to know what the respective rotor rpm was for the 1 up, 2 up and 3 up. It would be interesting to see wherther the real-life figures matched up to the theoretical under Tervmaki"s GyroCalcWin program.Theoretically, a gyro rotor will just keep speeding up and speeding up until it produces enough lift to carry whatever load is being asked of it. Takeoff runs will get progressively longer and longer, climb rate progressively lower, and power-off rate of descent progressively greater and greater. The increase in rotor rpm will also produce significantly greater induced drag, which will - or would - require substantially increased installed horsepower to overcome.Fixed pitch gyroplane rotors are happiest when they can lift their machine at moderately low pm, but not too low to make the 2-per-rev vibration increasingly annoying. Many heavyweight gyroplanes have rotor rpm in excess of 400, meaning that a lot of power is being absorbed by advancing blade tip region drag, and the way the rotor copes is by requiring that it be held at a bit higher disk-tip-path-plane angle of attack. Even relatively small disk tip-path-plane angle of attack increases in an auto-rotating rotor can require significantly increased power to maintain a given airspeed. The increase in rotor drag is very very much greater than for an equivalent wing going through the same angle of attack increase.With gyros, because the flying rotor is already in a steady auto-rotative state, we can keep our rotor rpm a bit lower than an equivalent chopper, because we don"t have to worry about preserving rotor rpm during the transition from a powered to an auto-rotative un-powered state. 350 seems to be about the ideal gyro rotor rpm, being high enough for a relatively smooth ride with reasonably quick rotor response, but not so high as to require increasingly greater amounts of power to drive it through the air. Happy End of Year and Happy New Year to all.Mark ReganMelbourne

Comment

That was a great video to watch, thanks. Now THAT is what I call a V tail

Comment

I cant find the link on youtube, so here is the screenshots :

Comment

Muz, you were talking about having motor jacked up one end a couple of mm earlier, this motor seems to be about 150mm high prop end. When the nose wheel is way in the air, the prop thrust line is level with the ground. [or appears to be anyway]Ross.
          Remember: no matter where you go, there you are

Comment

You often see this sort of thing in gyros, even in Australia, where a builder goes to great lengths to factor in a solution to a problem that they created in the first instance. A little more research could have saved them a lot of time, effort and quite often heartache and expense.Some of the Euro tubs aren"t immune to this either.A genius, probably smarter than the rest of us put together, once said "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler". Another one from anon is "Simplicity is the essence of good design".

Comment

From working with the Stans in Canberra, they do come up with ingenious ways to counter issues and seem to want to continue with their efforts rather than seek help or advice... I think it is from years of being too worried about speaking to anyone about anything for fear of the authorities butting in. Quentin had a heck of a time getting them to see the "patch" is not needed if the root cause is fixed to begin with. I must say that these guys have done a good job to come up with this machine and not have too many issues by the look of it.... to me it shows just how wide the design envelope can be and the machine still fly.... imagine if someone like yourself or other experts could point out the floors in the machine, it would go from being not bad to excellent with little work or change....The pilot could do with knowing not to slam the throttle balls to the wall like in a FW and keep the nose wheel down, rather than taking off at the power curve and staying there....All of this is just my observation and personal opinion, I could well be wrong However, in general, I reckon they have done pretty well.....

Comment

Working...
              X