Pushing the boundaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pushing the boundaries

Pushing what boundaries? What are they? The limits of the machine - which are only found when it falls out of the sky - or the limits of the gyronaught who establishes the limit when he goes beyond it and dies.If you do a barrel roll and survive, you're a hero. If you die, you're a fool.Being a novice pilot with only 50 hours solo and a long way from the nearest instructor, how do I improve without taking risks? There are no manuals on manoevres to refer to.Any helpful comments?

Michael( NOTE:I'm not an instructor)If you can, have a talk to your instructor, as he may be able to give you some safe exercises.These are the sort of exercises I still do, and they involve no risk.1/ Practice what you already know how to do, such as circuits, landings turns etc but do it with precision and accuracy. Set yourself goals. Such as land with the nose wheel touching the runway centre line. Practice turns without loosing any height. 2/ Fly the length of the runway at 3 feet, and stay over the centre line. Not just close to it but within 3 inches.Start doing it at ten feet or what ever height you are comfortable with, then work your way down closer and closer to the ground. 3/ Spot landing practice. Mark a line on the runway and practice getting as close to it as possible when you land. This can be done from a normal approach or from a simulated engine out approach. 4/ Carrier deck landing. Try to land as close to the line with the minimum roll you can manage.The main thing is close enough is not good enough. Practice these until you can get it spot on.These sort of exercises will develop your skills without any risk taking. The important thing is to set youself goals you plan to achieve with each flight, not just go for a fly. I'll let some of the experienced guys give you advice on how to do other manoevres.Hope this helpsRoss B

Comment

I concurr with all the exercises mentioned by Ross and would like to include: -Taking off keeping the nose wheel dead in line with the white line at all times,Practicing a smooth transition from ground to air, or from air to ground, in all conditions.Making all manoeuveres as smooth as possible, with no jerkyness.There are too many pilots who try to fly more advanced manoeuvers before they have even mastered the basics. It is surprising to see many "pilots" in this day and age (with many hours up) who cannot take-off or land correctly.Tim McClure

Comment

Working...
      X