5206 Z bearing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5206 Z bearing question

Hi Guys does it matter which way a 5206 Z rotorhead bearing go in?rebuilding old bensen head was wondering? Also do I add more grease to a sealed bearing and if so how? Thanks Kirby

Kirby,When in doubt refer to manufacturer.Description of the bearing would be nice - can't find it in my SKF catalogue, that is if it is an SKF equivalvent. Check you're not missing a number in the series because anything that I have with 5xxx series fits on a 5mm shaft, which seems way to small.Is it new? If not replace it.Generally you can't add grease to a sealed bearing.Hope this helps,Nick.

Comment

Thank you for reply Nick,yes it is new, tried to take picture but only have web cam.the box says....Federal-Mogul bearings 5206-ksse, on the bearing it say 5206 Z Japan NTN both sides look the same to me. I had them match it up with the old bearing. Have a good one, Kirby

Comment

G'Day Kirby,Here is some real help.http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/sho...ge=1&pp=15Good Luck.Mitchwww.thebutterflyllc.com

Comment

Thanks Greg,Thats what I needed to knowyou guys are great!! Take care, Kirby

Comment

Greg,Good find.Cheers,Nick

Comment

Hi Kirby,A bearing with a 5206 z marking would either be an NTN of a SKF, ***/ITN use a 3206 designation. Size is 30mm bore and 62mm od. It is an angular contact double row ball bearing with one shield. In this case the shield should be on the exposed side and packed with grease on assembly. More often or not these bearings come with a 2RS or RR designation, meaning that they have 2 seals and are pre packed with grease. These bearings can be assembled either way round. The contact angles range from 30 to 45 degrees with the angles either converging externally or internally. This particular bearing is probably an external div angle and a 40 deg contact angle. Interestingly, in normal operations at 400 rpm with a thrust loading of 400 kg and a minimal radial load ie. 40kg, the bearing has a life of 10000 hours...but don't take my word for it!cheersJohn

Comment

History,The 5206.. bearing as we know it to day and as I was taught in my apprentiship days was designed for the "Hoover" Keymatic angled front loading washing machine, it being a twin race and had metal dust shields, this was the bearing that Bensen used in his two popular models of the time, the BM-7 & BM-8, (as they had good loadings even at high speeds), the original being a spherical bearing also made in the USA by Fafnir with the designation DSRP8, today, as john has said, different designations are given by different manufactures, fortunatly they are still readily available, for those that want a larger bearing with a higher loading (twin seaters) there is the 5306RS (twin neoprene shields). all the bestPete Barsden

Comment

Thanks everyone for info, really kind to take the time and reply!!Pressed it in the head and the darn thing wouldn't turn anymore...strange but it has a slighty higer inner lip.....so now its trash. Put the oldone in turns just fine......confused because the original has in large numbers 5506....and in small 5206?hmmmmm have a good one, Kirby

Comment

Nik, wot do you call sealed???Some call the black neoprien seals on a bearing 'sealed'.If you don't pack these with 'real' grease you won't get more n 300 hours out of it.The bearing in the ferel now has over 900 hours onit and shows no signe of needn replacement.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

I Just checked in the international bearing bible. That bearing is a 30 mm bore 62mm od and 23.81 mm wide with one steel shield on one side IBI GROUP #12018 If this was my gyro I would use a IBI GROUP#12019.5 which is the same dimensions only has 2 neoprene seals, one on each side. Federal #5206CLL OR SKF#3206 2RS1 Like Birdy says you can carefully pick the seals out and repack after the 300 hrs as they are sealed with white lithium grease from the factory. The sealed bearing would be better than the shielded as the shield will let water into the bearing. The shielded type is meant to be used in a dry location and the shield is designed to stop electromagnetism from heating the bearing in motor and generator applications.[]Flying the right side up in Canada

Comment

Thanks Canadian Rhino,Now I know what to look for.have a good one,Kirby

Comment

If you carefully take the black (usually,but not always) seal off the bearing you can see were it seals on to the inner race. If it has a metel cover, that is a shield. A shield does not seal. Pick it off and you can see the difference.Daryl Patterson

Comment

Working...
                          X