VH- Gyro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VH- Gyro?

Has anyone ever had a gyro registered VH-? and if so was it able to be flown in 'GA airspace'?Dave

nope. I have not heard of it. what's it about?

Comment

There were a few McCulloch J2 gyroplanes on the Australian register some 30 to 40 years ago. I think at least one remained on the register for some time but to my knowledge hadn't been flown for many years. They have long since been taken off the register and some are lying around being readied for flight or collecting dust.Tim McClure

Comment

Thanks Tim, just wondered if it was possible.As to... "what's it about?" Just getting sick of driving for hours to an airfield when I live 10 minutes from nice tarmac in controlled airspace. You'd think something like a well maintained Magni with a 914 would be a pretty good option over built up areas. If anyone would like to help with the $100K, GA license and required paperwork... [] Dave

Comment

Thats a good question and something that I have often thought about.Its complicated by the maintenance question, for example.If we take a fixed wing Tecnan Echo for instance, this all alloy912-914 powered aircraft, ( a beautiful little machine to fly ) canbe registered as an ultralight. Therefore you can do your own maintenance but if we were to register the same aircraft in the GA Experimental catagory, we can not ! We must have a licenced LAMEdo all of the work and sign off on it.The same would apply to a Gyro I should think and how many LAME's,apart from the engine ( Rotax 912-914 ), would know anything about a gyro and would be prepared to sign off on it ?If anyone can point out a way around this I would be obliged if they would tell me, because I would love to see a certain enclosed Gyro with a full VFR panel,Tcas and mode S transponder, wearing aVH rego .Cheers.Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

One problem Rob is that to fly an experimental gyro would require a PPL G (gyro), and there is no one left to be able to conduct the CASA flight test required for a PPL G licence to be issued by CASA.I have a friend, a retired LAME, who is refurbishing the, I think, only J-2 left on the Oz register. He is bringing it up to the airworthiness requirements. Four years ago we made application to CASA for me to have a PPL with my diabetes for the sole purpose of conducting the flight test for the owner who has a PPL and has conducted quite a bit of training with me. CASA would not agree at that stage. The last guy to be current in a J-2 for CASA is too long in the tooth now, and does not want to get involved.It is my belief that if CASA offer a licence in the regs then they should have to supply a pilot to conduct the CASA flight test!!!! CASA do offer a PPL G in the regs.Now the big, and most important issue!!! Could ASRA submit a proposal to CASA for ASRA qualified pilots to operate experimental VH registered gyros? It is quite easy to build to the VH experimental category standard, BUT we need to be able to fly them on ASRA certificates. It would mean controlled airspace training. That is not a problem, everyone else requires to be qualified.If it were possible to get a PPL G in Oz that would be ok for some, but not for others like myself who meets all the PPL requirements except for the diabetes part of the medical.I am not sure how the RAA have handled this situation. I must give Middo a call.Food for thought.Aussie Paul..[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Working...
            X