No announcement yet.

Test bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I did my motor up (a direct drive Suby, .060 off the heads, reshape combustion chamber, port & polish, rejetted carby for Premium Unleaded and modified a cam)the motor performed perfectly though it ran a little warm. I spoke to an older Mechanic who put me onto Flashlube. Once I started to use it the motor temp came down to a normal temp, and the motor was a little crisper in performance. Flashlube acts like the lead in the old Super fuel. It lubricates the valve guides etc, and helps stop pinging. On the occasions when I've tried Avgas both witrh and without Flashlube, the motor always seems to run better with the Flashlube.I use at a ratio of 20ml to 20 Litres.

Comment

Birdy, cant say I noticed any improvement in fuel consumption with using Fash Lube but then again, I guess that shows how good 2.2 's are Brian

Comment

Brian, Tim stuck a 2.2 in mine with a 76". What a difference! Ken

Comment

Flashlube, additional information.Subaru, EA81, maximum Hp on 10 tests= 85HP.Flashlube added to UL petrol at reccommended rate of 1ml per litre.Maximum HP 90.This test was proof to me of the qualities of Flashlube.I spoke to the manufacturer before buying and since then have burned 10litres. Thats right, 10,000 litres of petrol with Flashlube in it!In this time I have found that all the ignition system benefits due to less resistance in the charge, the engine runs smoother and you definitely get more power. Yes, if you have points ignition the points burn less!It doesn't cost much to try it and you can get it just about anywhere. The larger the quantity the cheaper it is.Fish.

Comment

Ken, It certainly was a huge change when Tim did my 2.2. She just clocked up 1900 hours yesterday and except for a water pump and a new cam belt [old one looked like new] its been a trouble free run. Doesnt burn any oil at this stage. Thanks fish for the info, I have put gallons of flashlube through the 2.2 and it looks as if I have been spending money wisely !!!Brian

Comment

I wonder how it would go in me Fairlane ?Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

Should work really well Robert!! I put it in one of the ground crews Honda 600 that was playing up and seemed to be fuel related, after one tank of FL, the motor ran really well so there you go !!Brian

Comment

So what is this flash lube stuff? We dont have it here. Whats its supposed to do and whats in it?Flying the right side up in Canada

Comment

Flashlube is an upper cylinder lubricant that helps older designed engines that require lead to lubricate the valve stems.Here in wonder down under the politicians are driven by academics that are driven by scupulous ideals but have very poor life skills.The nett effect is that in the endevour to make our fuels "cleaner" diesel included, any engine that wasnt manufactured after the date that the government changed the fuel, performs poorly,is prone to reduced life and throws out a whole new bunch of nasty compounds that are probably worse than when lead was king.Anyway,as far as upper cylinder lubricants are concerned, they are only part of the answer.Yes they do have some octane boosting properties but unless you determine what octane rating your motor was built to take, if you are too low or too high, the performance of you engine will be cr@p.Low compression engines dont like high octane fuels and vice versa. I used to use flashlube in my Norton Commando (for those of you who dont know, A Norton is a proper Motor Bike and God still rides one) it worked fine for a while until performance gradually went backwards and it got really hard to start. when I finally pulled it apart both exhaust valves were jiggered and the seats were hammerd to bug gery.When I rebuilt it I had the head built to use unleaded and I LOWERED the compresion ratio because the avaliable fuel had a lower octane rating than the Good old lead based Super. The old girl used to have a top speed of 200 kph but now has one of around 220 (but it does start getting wriggly at that speed)Fuel additives are bandaids except they work in reverse, the problem never gets better when you put them on.

Comment

Working...
                    X