ASIC or AVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASIC or AVID

In the latest Gyro news on page 17 it quotes "All pilots in Aust are required by law to hold either an Australian Security Identification card or an Aviation Identification card".This all kicks in by 1st January 2006.It also quotes "For those wishing to operate into an airport that is serviced by RPT service, an ASIC card is required. Other pilots require an AVID. Either one or the other is mandatory."On the CASA web site below is what is said about an AVID card. AVIDs have been issued to pilots who have undergone a security check since 10 March 2005 as part of the process of issuing a photo licence. If you operate an aircraft in Australian Territory after 31 December 2005 and you need to hold a licence issued by CASA, you must have a current AVID or ASIC. An AVID is valid for five years before being renewed.http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/licence/index.htmI dont need a AVID card as I wont be flying into any aerodromes opertating RPT.My question is, "Is our current gyro licence issued by CASA or ASRA", because as until I read this article I knew about the ASIC card, but as for the AVID card I beleived it to only apply to G.A pilots.Regards Sam

In the media press release about the date extensionhttp://www.casa.gov.au/media/2005/DOTARS05-070WT.htmit clearly states that the ASIC (AVID for casual pilots or employees) is only required at the 141 regional airports added to the security lists and the current 38 major airports. As I won't be operating (read flying) or working at any of them, I WILL NOT GET EITHER OF THEM. Especially as the ASIC is $145 every two years and the AVID is $145 every 5 years.On this site http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/licence/index.htm it clear states "You fly recreational aircraft, eg ultralight or glider, and do not need a CASA licence to fly - The changes only affect pilots and flight engineers who are required to hold a CASA licence. If you fly a recreational aircraft (eg ultralight, glider etc) you do not need to complete a background check to fly your aircraft. "So as far as I can see those paddock bashers out there (which is most of the Gyro fraternity in Australia) don't need any of the above.

Comment

Thanks AnthonyI agree. See below as quoted on the site.You fly recreational aircraft, eg ultralight or glider, and do not need a CASA licence to flyThe changes only affect pilots and flight engineers who are required to hold a CASA licence. If you fly a recreational aircraft (eg ultralight, glider etc) you do not need to complete a background check to fly your aircraft.My consern was that some members took Page 17 Summer Edition 2005 as all pilots requireing one or the other.This seems to to be not quite right ?Regards Sam.

Comment

Gentlemen,The preamble to the article states that I sought interpretations from CASA and DOTARS before publishing. The reason I did this was because of the apparently contradictory infomation that can be obtained from the various websites dealing with the subject.I don't know who will police this new requirement, but you can bet your bottom dollar (literally), that they will probably have a different interpretation to everyone else, and if you do not comply with their interpretation, you will be cited.I'm sorry if this has caused you all some anxst, however it is better that you are aware of the happenings that may affect us, and make up your own mind.Whilst searching for information, have a look at this link, especially page 2. I would suggest that the situation that applies to gyro pilots starts with the second option, and the flow is via the lower route of the 2 available. http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regul...l/form639i.pdfRegards,Waddles.
        Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Guys,Further to my post above, I have just spent close on 2 hours getting the runaround from Government Departments in an effort to have some definitive guidance on this subject.I am waiting for a couple of calls and will advise the results ASAP.Regards,Waddles.
          Waddles

Comment

Gentlemen,Further to the above 2 posts from myself, I have been given information from CASA that indicates that as our Pilot Certificates are not issued by CASA, the requirement to hold an Aviation Identity Card other than an ASIC is not applicable to ASRA pilots.It remains however, that if you intend to operate into a security controled airport, you must hold an ASIC.My calls to DOTARS have not yet been returned, so confirmation from those who made the regulation is not yet available. If their interpretation is other than what CASA has given me, it will be referred to the Minister without delay.The information I provided on page 17 of the last Gyro News was based on definitve opinions from both CASA and DOTARS at the time.I apologise for any inconvenience that this information has caused.Regards,Waddles.
            Waddles

Comment

Thanks AllanTim McClure

Comment

While I admit that at this stage I dont know much about the rulesgoverning Gyro ownership and flight, I think that if its possible,why not just get the ASIC and be done with it, Its not that expensive.That way, for all intents and purposes, your ass is covered !At Bankstown they have closed the Nth, Sth, runway. This will be beaut on a Saturday arvo when the southerlies come in. I can see afew blokes declaring an emergency and landing at Kingsford Smith !Do Gyro's never fly near restricted areas or declare emergencies ?Cheers.Robert DunnMackay. Qld.Growing old is good while it lasts.

Comment

Thanks both Allan and Robert.Will be good to put this one to bed, as there are more rummors getting around than one would like, causing all the confusion.Looking forward to CASA's reply.Regards Sam.

Comment

Spoke to CASA today, who explained that they were only the issuer of these cards, and if I was wanting Tech info on ruleings I would have to speak to someone from the Dept of Transport & Regional Services.I made that call and was told that an AVID card was only required if flying into or from aerodromes were RPT operate from.Otherwise no cards are requires for gyrocopter pilots.Hope this helps.......Regards Sam.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SamLthere are more rummors getting around than one would like, causing all the confusion.Even CASA are confused so what chance have we got.Tim McClure

Comment

You are so right Tim.Aussie Paul. []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Working...
                        X