Gykes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gykes

Hi gyronut's,I'm looking for anybody who can help me with the conversion of trikes to gyroplane. Rob Patroney, at Bundaberg Qld was the only name i could vind on this toppick.Many Thanks Coen.

Coen,The BRA - british rotorcraft site had a page going for a while on this topic.It may be an idea to post what it is that you wish to know here and indeed on any other gyro web site / forum so some of the illuminated souls can help you out with it.Ideas on where to start:Gyros require a rudder and tail plane for stability, they are also a three axis machine [ sometimes this is wildly debated ], so you will need to contemplate how to add the tailplane assembly and controls [rudder pedals] to same.Trikes are typically configured with a high thrust line, this requires a large stabiliser to offset its affect for stability, consider this.Power most likely will not be an issue, most trikes have either a rotax 503 equivalent [marginal] or 582 [good] or 682 [excellent] and are lightly constructed.Control of a gyro in terms of pilot input at take off is very different from a trike, with a trike you push forward on the bar and gun it, not so a gyro.. you will have to do a pilot conversion to fly a gyke, lest you kill yourself. I strongly suggest you take this step before you go any further.Regards,Nick.

Comment

Amen.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Thanks for the concern, i am up to speed with the control criteria of gyroplanes after building a Sparrowhawk and having the opertunity to fly in a few! The idea is to tap into the vast market of people olready having a trike just because they could not afford a gyro?Coen.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by coenThanks for the concern, i am up to speed with the control criteria of gyroplanes after building a Sparrowhawk and having the opertunity to fly in a few! The idea is to tap into the vast market of people olready having a trike just because they could not afford a gyro?Coen.Hi Coen. Trikes are dearer here than gyros. I saw one the other day with a Rotax 912 100hp and it was AUD$ 64k!!!Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

G'Day Coen.The hang point angle of a trike is I beleive about 5-10 degrees nose up, so you would have to either mount your head well behind the mast, or re-position it.The foot throttle and peddals would still be right, and a very large step down keel would be required with adiquate tail surface area, and loaded H.S.In the case of a Quantum, or Edge, you could mount your rotor with mast folded, then simply lift and lock. Much easier and lighter than a wing. Flying with a rotax 582 may be alittle marginal, and min of 24ft blades one up would be required. An idea may be to incorporate a folding rotor head (or detachable)so the pilot has a choice of flying either trike or gyro.The only problem with that being if to much rudder is used while flying as a trike, it could place to much pressure on your hang point and cause damage.If the rudder could be fixed, or movement limited when flying as a trike, then the addition of a tail would enhance the machines ability to point and limit skid and slip during a turn. I used to own & fly a Skylink Hornet which incorporated a very large fin, and it did exactly that. Edge is now using large spat mounted fins to also help there machine point.Image Insert: 60.24 KBI think our greatest concern would be of a trike pilot jumping in and trying to fly it. Such a machine would look and feel normal other than the blades and tail, and would be very tempting to over confident trike pilots.Good luck !! Sam.Image Insert: 8.56 KBImage Insert: 6.48 KBImage Insert: 14.17 KBImage Insert: 85.27 KBImage Insert: 51.94 KB

Comment

Yes it is stupendus to think that one can pay more for a trike than a gyro! yust the limited flight window is more than enough reason to pay morefor a gyro.coen

Comment

Working...
              X