Clear plastic fuel line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear plastic fuel line

Most of us have clear plastic tube as our seat-tank fuel gauge as supplied by the manufacturers. After a couple of years that the tube is exposed to the petrol, it loses its flexibility and changes from clear to an orangy brown colour.I was working on my two-seater and recently replaced all the fuel lines, but squeezing and pulling the clear tube considered it to be safe. I put 10 liters in the tank in preparation for starting up the motor. Got a bit of a shock a couple of days later when I returned to the gyro to find the clear fuel tube had cracked down near the bottom and all the fuel had run away. Further examination of the tube revealed that it was quite brittle and it didn't require much effort to get it to completely crack-up and disintergrate. I have since replaced mine and recommend that you have a thorough inspection of your systems.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

It should be the pale blue fuel hose Pete. That is what comes with the Gerry tanks I am fitting to Firebird and the single seater I am building at the moment.Aussie Paul. []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

The blue tube is the correct fuel tube Paul but mostly I see the clear being used Paul. Be interesting to hear what others are using.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

I have used the blue tube and it perished quicker than the clear tube went brittle. Only my opinion but I go with the clear tube and replace it at least every 12 months.MC

Comment

I've heard that Mark. I have also heard that there is a clear yellowish fuel tube used by motorcycle manufacturers that doesn't go brittle but I don't know where to source it. Anyway your redundancy policy of replacement every 12 months is my my experience overkill, but definately on the right side of safety.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

The common or garden type clear plastic tube seems to me to last as long as any. I go with Mark, replace it every 12 months. It only costs a few cents and is easy to replace when it is still pliable.There is a very expensive hose but it is not as readily available and is not as easy to see through.Tim McClureBroken Hill

Comment

The unleaed fuel thats being used now is a fairly acid type, I had the misfortune to spray unleaded fuel over the windscreen and the old Garmin GPS when the hose from the rapid flow drum pump came out of the seat tank accidently. The windscreen started to disolve rapidly so I quickly grabbed a bottle of water and sprayed it all over the windscreen and dash, that stopped the windscreen from vanishing further but the GPS mount dissolved ,just eaten through like battery acid had been poured over it !!!Was reading in the Pacific Flyer of a couple flying near Bordertown in a home built aircraft when the plexiglass canopy let go in flight and I wondered then if fuel had been accidently sprayed on the plexiglass ?? Would have been a frightning expereince getting along at 120 knots in a serene cockpit and in an instant being battered by gale force winds. They did survive but flipped the aircraft attempting a forced landing in a paddock!!!!The fuel quality is even more unpalatable when you consider the price we are paying for it!!BrianPooncarie NSW

Comment

Working...
              X