No announcement yet.

Instrument Pod Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Sam, my priority in setting out the dash has got to be what students need to see, so its going to be airspeed up top, followed by tacho and altimeter then engine instruments below. The gyro will feature a compass attached to the windscreen which puts it up out of the way, and gps on the side of the panel. I actually tried hard to build in your Silva compass into my panel but could not just fit it in. However you have me re-thinking the position of the VSI which I will ponder over the next couple of days. The main gyro pod came together today in still in its absolute raw state but now complete, I'll post a pic in the next few days, but it's all going to fit in beautifully. I have cut the instrument panel support post today and am fitting it tomorrow. That also takes the weight of the gyro pod which itself is very light and which will be able to be removed at will within a few minutes without interfering with the instruments. The aim is to be able to give students time in protected and exposed environments.Why I am at it I thought I would set up a landing light into the front of the pod. Any suggestions on type, size or power would be appreciated as it will be going in within a week.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Sam,I haven't experienced any difficulties in adjusting the pitch WRT the horizon, but I guess that is because I have a wire in front of me and the yaw indicator at that height which makes sighting the horizon and then establishing your pitch attitude relatively easy. So here's another suggestion for you Pete - put a yaw string in front of the sutdent directly, and make sure it is at a height where the student's eye and the top of it are level to the horizon.. you could even make it adjustable to suit the student.Cheers,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Good one Nick. My Instructor did just that with like a t-bar with one in front of him and one in front of me both with yaw strings. This was after previous hours of dispute surrounding which way the centrally based string was pointing. I had got over the tendancy to pio by then but it might have helped had it been installed earlier.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Yes, I recall clearly some issues with 'Parallax Error' when coming in to land in the two seater.A T bar may not be such a good idea as the flat section may affect the indicator, something more like a Y would be better, but then seperate vertical risers would be best of all.Eureka!!!!!!!! a retractable car antenna! two of them - Instantly Adjustable, durable and comes with FM radio for your flying pleasure, can be electrified to trim for the right position for different types of flying!Just tie a string to it..Hope this helps..Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

That's it and electrically operated too. I think you are on to something here. Soothing FM music while the student is sweating it trying to line it all up straight for landing.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Here is my latest version instrument layout. Hope it's not too busy up top.Image Insert: 50.2

Comment

The control panel is built and I am having it wired at the moment. I spent the time to polish and birdseye finish the aluminium panel. Looks beautifulllllll.....[]. I'll post a picture when it is back with me.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

The control panel is built and I am having it wired at the moment. I spent the time to polish and birdseye finish the aluminium panel. Looks beautifulllllll.....[]. I'll post a picture when it is back with me.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Pete,After it has been wired try to install a means to support the wires independent of themselves, by this I mean put in some form of cable support which you can cable tie the cables to so they are supported, and the cable support should be fixed to the panel, not just one cable tied to another to form a loom. With my machine at about 280 odd hrs I'm starting to get some instrument failures with wires falling apart due to fatigue. I'll be tempted to rewire the whole thing soon to improve the situation, probably if I add lights / strobe it'll happen then.Cheers,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Pete,After it has been wired try to install a means to support the wires independent of themselves, by this I mean put in some form of cable support which you can cable tie the cables to so they are supported, and the cable support should be fixed to the panel, not just one cable tied to another to form a loom. With my machine at about 280 odd hrs I'm starting to get some instrument failures with wires falling apart due to fatigue. I'll be tempted to rewire the whole thing soon to improve the situation, probably if I add lights / strobe it'll happen then.Cheers,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Nick all the wires will enter the bottom of the instrument pod and go straight to a bar mounted on the back of the panel through solid mounted spade connecters. The panel intself is wired with all instrument wires terminating at the opposite side of the bar to the appropriate connections. All those wires will be firmly secured on their way to the panel. My Instrument fitter is an 87 year old marvel who really knows the stuff and only the best equipment is being used. He wired two others of mine in the past with greate results and no nagging problems. Incidentally he is presently building an RV7 in his garage after recently completing a Jab and his workmanship is a real credit to him. All good advice Nick, thanks.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Nick all the wires will enter the bottom of the instrument pod and go straight to a bar mounted on the back of the panel through solid mounted spade connecters. The panel intself is wired with all instrument wires terminating at the opposite side of the bar to the appropriate connections. All those wires will be firmly secured on their way to the panel. My Instrument fitter is an 87 year old marvel who really knows the stuff and only the best equipment is being used. He wired two others of mine in the past with greate results and no nagging problems. Incidentally he is presently building an RV7 in his garage after recently completing a Jab and his workmanship is a real credit to him. All good advice Nick, thanks.PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Pete,Cheers, sounds good.Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Pete,Cheers, sounds good.Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Working...
                              X