Compassfor the two seater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compassfor the two seater

Time to choose a compass for the two seater. Given that neither pilot is directly behind a centrally mounted unit, is there appreciable error when read if fitted that way? If so should I opt for two compasses in front of each seat? Also any suggestions re type, size, brand and models would be appreciated. I have attached a photo of my dash which you can see has lots of room to accomodate.Image Insert: 38.49

Gidday Pete,I use an aircraft B 20 compass in my RAF and a cheapie from a boat shop in the Monarch. (Danforth "Quest" for about $50). I can't read either to an accuracy of better than 5 degrees unless the machines are stopped on the ground. The vibration inherrent in most gyros seems to be attracted to the compass. I have no real difficulty interpreting the parallax from the mid-mounted position on the RAF.Before settling on a final location, be sure to have all your electrics operable, then hold your compass in the preferred location and turn ALL the electrics on. The induced error due to electrical fields can be quite alarming. I had to mount the RAF compass on the windscreen to avoid this problem.Waddles.
    Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Gidday Pete,I use an aircraft B 20 compass in my RAF and a cheapie from a boat shop in the Monarch. (Danforth "Quest" for about $50). I can't read either to an accuracy of better than 5 degrees unless the machines are stopped on the ground. The vibration inherrent in most gyros seems to be attracted to the compass. I have no real difficulty interpreting the parallax from the mid-mounted position on the RAF.Before settling on a final location, be sure to have all your electrics operable, then hold your compass in the preferred location and turn ALL the electrics on. The induced error due to electrical fields can be quite alarming. I had to mount the RAF compass on the windscreen to avoid this problem.Waddles.
      Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Pete the boat shops are great for compasses etc.They do sell special compasses with built in compensators. This will eliminate the magnetic problems assosiated with instruments.I like the compasses that enable you to look over the compass card and take bearings, or for position trianglation if required.This type of design also helps confirm track bearings when flying in exessive Xwind conditions, but you must be able to place yourself behind the machines direction of movement, and not its point. A GPS is exellent for this as most have a compass card which will give you an exact bearing/ heading, rather than trying to determin what it is from your machines point and movement over the ground. Not forgetting that it will get you there if all else fails.Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

Pete the boat shops are great for compasses etc.They do sell special compasses with built in compensators. This will eliminate the magnetic problems assosiated with instruments.I like the compasses that enable you to look over the compass card and take bearings, or for position trianglation if required.This type of design also helps confirm track bearings when flying in exessive Xwind conditions, but you must be able to place yourself behind the machines direction of movement, and not its point. A GPS is exellent for this as most have a compass card which will give you an exact bearing/ heading, rather than trying to determin what it is from your machines point and movement over the ground. Not forgetting that it will get you there if all else fails.Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

Hey Pete, just been in and out of shops trying to find a suitable compass myself. One bit of info. There are two types for boats, one for motorboats and one for everything else. The difference is the way the little pin in the 'disc' is mounted. The motorboat type can handle the vibrations a lot better so thats the type we need. So far I haven't found one that is small AND can be read when in different attitudes, most of them have a limited 'tilt' reading range. If you do find a good compass please post something. Sam L. has one that does the job but its really BIG! Here are a few to have a look at http://www.sailgb.com/c/motorboat_powerboat_compasses/Dave

Comment

Hey Pete, just been in and out of shops trying to find a suitable compass myself. One bit of info. There are two types for boats, one for motorboats and one for everything else. The difference is the way the little pin in the 'disc' is mounted. The motorboat type can handle the vibrations a lot better so thats the type we need. So far I haven't found one that is small AND can be read when in different attitudes, most of them have a limited 'tilt' reading range. If you do find a good compass please post something. Sam L. has one that does the job but its really BIG! Here are a few to have a look at http://www.sailgb.com/c/motorboat_powerboat_compasses/Dave

Comment

Thanks Waddles, Sam and Dave..all good advice, and I accept all you say. Waddles, you seen to indicate that the small cheapie type is as good as the larger variety for what we do. Are you happy with them also in relation to taking students on cross country exercises? Dave, that web address has a Suunto Pilot as its first listing which is the one on my single seater. It is located on the windscreen and quite stable and which I might buy if I can find a local supplier. Any suggestions to suppliers? You're in with CH Smith and Co I believe Sam. Are they the ones to go to?PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Thanks Waddles, Sam and Dave..all good advice, and I accept all you say. Waddles, you seen to indicate that the small cheapie type is as good as the larger variety for what we do. Are you happy with them also in relation to taking students on cross country exercises? Dave, that web address has a Suunto Pilot as its first listing which is the one on my single seater. It is located on the windscreen and quite stable and which I might buy if I can find a local supplier. Any suggestions to suppliers? You're in with CH Smith and Co I believe Sam. Are they the ones to go to?PeteBairnsdale,Vic.

Comment

Thats right Pete, and they have a very large range at good prices.Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

Thats right Pete, and they have a very large range at good prices.Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

Thats advertising aint it Sam[] so now you have to give us all a super duper deal[] including the webmaster[], Gee I just couldn't resist.What you focus on grows. Des Gravin Bullsbrook Geraldton's (southern suburb) W.A.

Comment

Thats advertising aint it Sam[] so now you have to give us all a super duper deal[] including the webmaster[], Gee I just couldn't resist.What you focus on grows. Des Gravin Bullsbrook Geraldton's (southern suburb) W.A.

Comment

Working...
                          X