Axle Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Wing

I streamlined my axle(RHS) with corflute about 300mm wide. Makes it float onto the ground. Am thinking of changing it to a wing profile to take advantage of the airspeed for extra lift. Has anyone tried this? The axle is close to central so lift shouldn't have any adverse effects.It seems a waste not to use it. Ken.

Ken, what is corflute? The late Fred Hughes tried a wing under the seat, something like 6 ft long with a 2 ft chord. Slightly increased top speed but also caused severe rotor bump at high speed (possible rotor slowing causing increased teeter).Tim McClure

Comment

It's the stuff they make real estate for sale signs out of. I've had mine on for about 90hrs with no adverse effects. Cruise increased slightly. I thought of only a small chord of 300/400mm, but from wheel to wheel. Basically what I've got now but with a little lift. I'll let you know what happens. Ken

Comment

I think JH-S has some very trick looking extruded ally wing profile parts on his latest creation....Art Spink...

Comment

If you just want to reduce the drag on the Bensen type axle and mast there's an oval PVC tube used in Hydroponics which worked pretty well on my old VW. I think if you used hot water or a heat gun it would probably be easy to persuade it into an airfoil shape. However that may not be a good idea as streamline may be more draggy if not perfectly aligned with airflow.John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

Drag reduction is certainly worth persueing. Every kg of drag you eliminate is an extra kg of thrust. The drag on a 50mm round tube is something in the vicinity of 6kg per linear metre. On a 50mm square tube it is even more. Covering that tube with a symetrical airfoil, with no angle of attack, can reduce that drag by as much as 85% to 90%. A 3:1 airfoil would be enough to achieve this.Tim McClure

Comment

Working...
            X