FIRST PUSHER GYRO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRST PUSHER GYRO.

G'Day Gents,Recent info gleaned from the net would indicate Pitcairn invented the first pusher autogiro designated XO-61."The pusher-engine Pitcairn XO-61 fared even worse than the O-60 series. Beset by cooling and mechanical problems, as well as stability issues, the first aircraft did not fly until April 7, 1943. The onset of ground resonance during a test several weeks later destroyed the airframe and by the end of the year, the USAAF had cancelled the contract." I have not been able to locate a pic off of the net but I do have a doco video which has still pics and flying footage.The above quote was taken from http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...xo60.htmAnyone have more info or a pic for posting?I guess the thing that struck me straight off was the similarities in the keel support boom and tail arrangement, which reminded me of Chuck Beaty's unique design gyro.Cheers,Mitch.www.thebutterflyllc.com

Greg,According to Bruce Charonov in 'From Autogiro to Gyroplane', the first pusher gyro was built by the Buhl Aircraft Company and was first flown on December, 15 1931. There is a picture on pg. 89 of his book. There was only one example made which is awaiting restoration at the Hiller Aviation Museum in California, USA. This gyro was built under license from Cierva, and was flown by Cierva himself in later in December, 1931. The gyro was, reportedly, underpowered and the company lacked the money for further development, not suprising during the Great Depression.

Comment

Try this Greg !!!! Image Insert: 89.03 KBRegards Sam. [][][]

Comment

G'Day Peter, Sam,Well done fella's. Interesting how a documentary just happened to leave this little detail out. Peter,Pitcairn I assume then bought the rights to further develope, I recollect the XO-61 project started around 1936.Sam,Thanks mate, excellent photo, that's a keeper. The XO-61 I thought was fully enclosed/plexiglass set-up and a 'tad' more modern.So Cierva invented both versions of the modern day gyroplanes, including jump take-off, CLT and fly/drive vehicles! Wow!!Mitch www.thebutterflyllc.com

Comment

Call me ecentric,But I really like the hats the early Gyro dudes used to wearMark.

Comment

Greg,The picture above is of the Buhl autogiro. The XO-61 did have a bubble canopy, but I don't have a picture of it. Technically Cierva didn't invent the Buhl pusher. It was built under license but was the original product of that company. Cierva did, however, patent a two-seat, side-by-side, pusher gyro in 1930 designated the C.21. It was never built, though.I'm quoting all these facts from Bruce Charnov's book. It is a great read and highly recommended for anyone interested in the history of autorotative flight. It is the first, and only, academic history of the Autogyro, complete with copious references.

Comment

Good historic information. Unfortunately Cierva and Pitcairn quickly developed their machines to such an extent that they became dearer than fixed wings and as such were unafordable to the general public - hence the development died, also aided by the depression and the government demands for an aircraft that can hover.Such innovations in gyros today would easily double + the price of a gyroplane. quote:Originally posted by Mark HoranI really like the hats the early Gyro dudes used to wearThere is an interesting video around of Igor Sikorsky test flying one of his death traps. As he spun the blades up they became very unstable and the whole machine started to bounce up and down. He was unrestrained and as it got worse it spat him out and up into the rotor blades. He got flung out to one side where a couple of mates helped him up, put his bowler hat back on and helped him away. Buggered the rotor blades though.Tim McClure

Comment

Image Insert: 66.32

Comment

G'Day Daryl,That's the one! Have it on video flying.Cheers,Mitch.www.thebutterflyllc.com

Comment

Working...
                  X