airboat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airboat

has anyone fitted a suby and prop to a punt?we go fishin in the gulf and need to travel accross a lot of very shalow water in a hurry and i was wondering how to do it.

Grant,If you haven't sold your gyro yet why not throw it on and try it?Cheers,nick.

Comment

thats the plan

Comment

No, havent tried it but always wanted to have an airboat !! Reckon it would be a real hoot !!! The ones I've seen in photos are direct drive so a Suby with a gearbox would put out a lot of serious thrust. May need some sort of stab to keep the thing trimmed !!!Go for it !!BrianYou never know how far you can go, till you get there !

Comment

I did it some years ago up in Qld using the 1600 sub motor with redrive and 3 blade prop (a brolga I think). It went well but my only problem was to keep the weight well down in the boat. Good in a straight line with wide sliding turns that wanted to fall over like an old dog and toyota hilux's. I think thats why the vw direct drive worked so easly because of the small prop and ease of mounting low. Always thought of having a small rudder in the water as well??Graeme

Comment

thanks graeme and brian i also was considering a stab of sorts. one that could be controlled might help?what about two angled rudders meetin at the top so that the out side edge of the turn was lifted??could also put a small opposing rudder at the top to lean the boat into the corner??not sure i can offord to re invent these things though, so i was wonderin if someone had all the answers before i started.

Comment

Hoody i know where there's one with a falcon motor and about 68-72" prop through a belt redrive where the engine is down low and the prop up high, supposed to go alright though never been in it, between you and i it is..Remember -- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"Mark

Comment

G'day there grant.......I have had or used many airboats over many years ( was the first in Oz to have a commercial license)The soob will work fine, with conditions.....keep the thrust line LOW, no keel at all, twin vertical rudders, left hand,push,pull,type steering ( like an outboard motor.....you pull to go left, push to go rite) but you have the steering arm working forward and aft, if you get my drift. you must have some hull protection under neath, will guarantee to hole otherwise, keep it all as lite as poss.......important.In deep water they all feel like they will topple over, and will if you are not on the ball. And make the hull as long as possAfter you get the feel, they are a reel hootRuss....A1014 NT....gods country

Comment

Russ, From reading your post, I think you are a mosquito. Started in the water, then took to the air....Ted

Comment

How they hangin mate......yea bin awayHave you seen the lite yet......mateyRuss....A1014 NT....gods country

Comment

Working...
                    X