Very old prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very old prop

Don't know if there are any Aussie history buffs out there, but as I was cleaning out the workshop this morning I found an old wooden 2 blade propeller about 5' dia. with the following inscription stamped and burnt into it. DH GIPSY MK 1DRG NO 5180/1"INVINCIBLE"JUNE 1933Any ideas where I could find out some more information about it ?Someone mentioned it might have been from an Antarctic expedition ?cheersArt SpinkGyroNews Editor

Artdh may be dehavilland and gypsy may be a reference to a gypsy moth mark 1the next reference is probably to the manufacturers drawing number if you search some of these phrases etc you may get some useful information Invincible is the name of a company in Australia currently who are allowed to make props for the moth planes it may be worth asking them about it Art Hope this helps MarkMark

Comment

Here's some thing I found awhile back, hope it helps.CheersSonny Identifying Your Propeller Usually 8 feet or longer in length (associated with slower RPM usage, i.e. 1200 to 1700 range)8 bolt holes, rather than six.Darker woods, typically mahogany, walnut, oak, cherry.Offset blade patterns, often scimitar with variations in leading edge and trailing edge curves.Exposed or fabric covered tips, painted. Some copper or other malleable sheathing towards tips.Drawing number or engine data stamped on hub.Click on Photo Gallery for thumbnails of a variety of WW1 propellers.Contact me if you think your propeller falls in this category and you need help. "Modern" Propellers Usually 6 to 8 feet in length.Often 6 bolt holes, sometimes 8.Light colored woods, usually ash, birch, maple, etc.Symmetrical blade design, with leading and trailing edges similar.Thin metal along leading edge towards hub. Fabric common.Design number often on base of blade, or on hub.If you think yours is in this category, go right to the Modern Wooden Propellers web site.For variable pitch (multiple blades) propellers click here. Airboat Propellers Wide, flat blades.Squared-off tips.Metal sheathing.Design number frequently ## X ##. UAV Propellers Small, Usually 48 inches or less.Rarely have metal sheathing.Frequently red painted tips. Wooden Propeller Home Photo Gallery Site Map . The first step in identifying an unknown propeller is to determine which of the categories below is most likely to apply, then refine your search from there. Each category will have different available options. For instance, modern propellers are most likely to be matched according to the manufacturer's design number, but "early" (WW1 era) propellers will often require identification of the engine used, usually by reference to the hub dimensions. Remember, many propellers simply can not be identified at this time with the currently available reference materials. "Early" Propellers (Includes WW1 era propellers) Below are some general groupings of wooden propeller types. The characteristics of aircraft propellers changed significantly in the 1920's with the advent of newer and higher rpm engines and the development of metal propellers. The designations of "early" and "modern" are therefor useful because there are a number of common features of each, although there are many exceptions to the general guidelines given below. Click on the title or picture below to view examples and some further options. http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Prope...mlIntelligence is not a privilege,it is a gift and should be used for the good of mankind.

Comment

Don"t know if there are any Aussie history buffs out there, but as I was cleaning out the workshop this morning I found an old wooden 2 blade propeller about 5" dia. with the following inscription stamped and burnt into it. DH GIPSY MK 1DRG NO 5180/1"INVINCIBLE"JUNE 1933Any ideas where I could find out some more information about it ?Someone mentioned it might have been from an Antarctic expedition ?cheersArt SpinkGyroNews EditorArt,There is a book I"ve just recently read about a guy who was a photographer in the war.. the bugger of it is I"ve loaned the book to somebody, I"ve just got to get it back to give you a name..I"ll get back to you ASAP.Cheers,Nick.

Comment

Thanks Nik, If I remember I"ll take a photo of it tomorrow, I"ve put it up on display in the workshop.TaArt

Comment

Art,Look up a guy named Hubert Wilkins.Book title:"The last explorer"

Comment

Working...
            X