Gyrocopters in Tauranga?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyrocopters in Tauranga?

Just wondering if there are many gyros flying out of Tauranga airport? I grew up in Tauranga and learned to fly Grummans with Wally Christofersen at the Pegasus flying school back in the late 70"s. I saw a youtube of a gyro dive bombing the mount.... well, flying around it as I used to.I know Wally has gone, but have always wondered what became of the Grummans, I know the 150 was DIA, cant remember what the 170 Tigers rego was? ight have been DLK?One thing I have noticed from Google maps, is the old aeroplane that was mounted near the fountain at Memorial Park has gone.... it was once there for us kids to climb in and over, I guess it is more than likely restored and flying again?I have often thought how nice it would be to fly gyros in the Bay of Plenty, might have to do it one day...

Sure would be a nice area to fly Muz. I"ve got a constant reminder (a scar under my chin) after falling off a small cliff at nearby Bowentown when aged 4.

Comment

Yeah, nice place to fly. and so small. Over there you can fly from one side of the country in a couple of hours or less.... makes you feel like you have gone somewhere

Comment

I grew up on a farm close to a hill (Titirangi lookout) where you could see the east and west coasts by turning your head. Love to fly over the old farm one day before I leave the planet

Comment

I bought a helmet off a fellow called Tony Unwin who has a business called Gyrate and im pretty sure he operates out of Tauranga.

Comment

Hi MurrayI have been to Tauranga in 2010. The gyros are European bathtubs with transponders as you are operating from controlled airfield and airspace.This photo is from the Mount - World famous in NZThis one is from the town

Comment

Wow, the mount hasnt changed much, I used to take friends for a blast and fly up matakana island, even up to coramandel and over the nambassa music festival when it was on, then back down papamoa (looking for white pointers on the beach) then down to Te Puke and back.... was awesome. Sometimes would fly out past pyes pa (I lived in Greerton near the race course)

Comment

Working...
              X