No announcement yet.

AN Hardware or Better ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Alex, it is common practice to divert the topic. It is neither desirable nor necessary and makes it considerebly harder to use the forum as a "knowledge reference" base. The above diversion should have been in the "Miscellaneous" topic, under a new thread.Tim McClure

Comment

Thats Murray in the back telling Alan what to do as he looks out the glass bottom to see if they have touched the water yet. Another successful trial in preparation for their next attempt at the gyro on floats.These fella's are definately at the forefront of something, pushing the envelope (through the letterbox), knowing no fear but fear itself. Hail the pioneers. Who needs AN bolts with nuts like these(I mean the nuts they have not the nuts they are). Common fella's , give us an update on the duck killer. Ken Tuckey. Not that green but full of as much sheetP.s. Is that Rego for real Z WOG.Should be Z MAD WOG

Comment

This message was deleted and reposted to update the topic by admin Regarding the metal nuts, not the human ones,Most of the loading that is likely to break a nut will come from extreme manouvers, sudden shocks, vibration, etc. The static weight will generally be insignificant.In general, I tend to ignore anything as trivial as a 2:1 benefit. its just not significant in the 'noise' of all the other factors.Especially at that sort of cost.The big issues are likely to be brittleness and susceptibility to fatigue. So AN is a good choice, expecially with the rolled threads.And if the bolt is in tension, wouldn't most of its load come from tightening it up? That should be much greater than the "weight of machine" load. In which case, just don't overtighten it!What does an AN bolt cost cf. the $200 specialty bolt?Does the specialty have rolled threads, high ductility, etc.If they are half the price, then replace them twice as often.(whats half of infinity)Is this the nust that holds the rotor bearing on?If my life depended on it (er, ummm...) I'd probably put a large diameter bearing on, and a cluster of about 7 smaller bolts, with a safety marign (over what? load + vibration + G force + bumps + taxi-ing + fatigue ) of at least 10x. Preferably 100x.How about building a bloody huge rod that goes up the centre of bearing, with a Cap to hold the bearing down, then using cross-bolts to fix it in place?"I may be paranoid, but am I paranoid enough? "Don

Comment

Ken, I have informed the opps manager that I will no longer partisipate with any of his hairbrain schemes.The floats have been confis,confascat... taken off him and the last thing I heard him say was "If a Piper cub can do that so can a 747"M Barker

Comment

Lake Jindabyne, Eucumbene, He won't be able to resist. I might even hose the runway down to make him feel more comfortable. I thought you 2 were always looking for a wet spot. Ken

Comment

is there any chance of getting the photo in reply # 20 reposted somehow. i would like to see what is was.

Comment

Working...
              X