No announcement yet.

Lillienthal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread certainly has covered a lot of different wind phenomena, all of them very important to low level flyers. Obviously a lot of them have nothing to do with Lillienthal, possibly one of these he hadn't figured out was what resulted in his fatal crash with his "hang glider". I think there is one thing we can all agree on, the pundits who repeatedly assure us that there is no particular hazard in the downwind turn are dead wrong when it comes to low level operationsJohn EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

I'm go'n to diagree again john.If your turning DW, while there is any sorta wind gradeint, you will benifit from loose'n alt, coz the wind your drop'n down into isn't as strong as the wind above, so your affectivly gaining AS as you drop. It's only these people who keep pull'n back on the stick coz they are drop'n and the GS is increasing, and they endup behind the curve.You may have noticed when you do a sim EO with a stiff head wind blown, the lower you get, the more you gota stick forward and drop fatser, coz your drop'n from a stiff breeze into buggerall.If you do a sim EO heading DW while you know there is no tail wind on the ground its no big deal, coz the gradient is artificialy feed'n you AS as you decend, and when you get to GL theres no wind.You'll find theres alot more to wind gradeints than first appears if you spend most of your time init.[ below 100']Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

Hmmm! you make some good points there Dave! However I am still concerned about the effect of downwind gusts, particularly in machines that are marginal for power, and where you really don't want to lose height.John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

Doc,I think Birdy's answer to that is 912.........telfFlying - The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. (Douglas Adams-The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Comment

It strikes me that the wind near the ground would be rolling. Its kind of like the old trick question about the speed of a car tire where the top of the tire is going twice as fast as the car and the bottom is not moving because it is actually firmly planted on the ground (road)which is not considered to be moving (never mind the 1000 miles an hour from earth spin![])Flying the right side up in Canada

Comment

I think you're right Telf[]John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

Working...
              X