No announcement yet.

Little wing Autogyro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Mark let's work an example.As prop thrust rises steeply with tip speed up to the point where part of the air passing over the cambered part of the tip goes transonic, we use this simple method of finding when that happens.For the example let's use a direct drive EA 81, it probably needs to spin at about 3400 rpm to develop its power, so if we divide 3400 into 201,655 we get 59, so the prop should be no bigger than 59".Even then if it is a fairly thick wooden prop it will go transonic earlier than a thin metal or composite one. That's why a 54" wooden prop is commonly used on EA 81 and VW.John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

Thanks John, very simple when you explain it like that, thank youMark

Comment

Hello guys,i'm new to gyros but have been researching for a while and have decided on the Little Wing, was interested in the firebird but looks like we could be waiting a while for it to appear, plans have arrived this week for the little wing. i think it will be in the air before the firebird.Have heard there is one being tested this week in Victoria, can someone give me info on how the tests whent, and how to contact the owner, would like some input from there building experience.ByeCrachetester

Comment

Paul Bruty may be the man to help you. He did the test flying.Daryl Patterson

Comment

If you want info on the little-wing tests by Paul Bruty,give me a try on private email.Graeme Monro.

Comment

Address is good. gcmonro@bordernet.com.au

Comment

Hey Col, I see you live in Hay, I used to work at UARDRY station. Thats where I had my first gyro( about '87 ) , a Benson type built by the late Mel Vogel of Leeton.X

Comment

Hi Echo, I know UARDRY we are about the same distance from Hay to the west. I did some Jackarooing there in the early 70's, so I know where you are talking about.ByeCrachetester

Comment

Hi guys,Just wondering how far you've progressed with your Little Wing project. I'm designing my own Tractor Gyro (TG) here in Auckland, and it would be very useful (and interesting) to be able to pick someone's brains from time to time.Cheers,DuncanAuckland, NZ

Comment

Hello, I have been flying a pitbull for several seasons now and have 129 hours on it. I don't claim to be an expert on tractors but will be happy to relate my experiences with it. I will attempt to put a picture of it on here. John M Just found out that the picture has to be less than 90 kb I will have to further compress them down from 150.

Comment

I compressed a pic and will try it again. John MImage Insert: 89.56

Comment

Nice Pitbull John! Looks to be a bit cold for flying without an electric suit? []Hi Daryl, FWIW Rodney Stiff at Jabiru suggested to us that it would be 'hard' to cool a 'slow-flying' gyro with a 3300 - at your own risk, as I understand it. The better your power-to-weight the less the cooling problem, and it is probably best to use the Jabi cowling to direct the air in the right places. They have a serious engine setup in Bundaberg.There is one cooling trick that might help if you are interested. Water injection is good for 'additional cooling' in some situations, and this might be one of them?The standard prop is optimised for the Jab, and (as they all are) built to a price as well as a performance. It would clearly not suit a gyro well, so static thrust will not match another engine with an optimised gyro prop. Can I suggest you have a word with Rob Patroney at Revolution Rotors about 3-bladed props for a Jab 3300? We were discussing this very subject earlier this year, and he showed me some really lovely composite prop blades. Configurable as 2- or 3-blades, and the 3-blader has significantly higher thrust than the 2-bladers on a 3300. Having said that, I usually prefer a redrive myself, but that Jabi is seriously light!We've been looking at a side-by-side Little Wing too - Ron Herron reckoned that the drag was a no-no, but I did some sums and it looks like the rotor drag is the bigger issue. Did some simulations using X-Plane, but not sorted them out yet.[] Been concentrating on the other project...Best regards, Ben

Comment

Hello Ben.Yes Jabiru didn't seem keen on the idea when I emailed them for some information. In the end they kept their info and I kept my $18,000+. The choice is now down to the fuel injected Sub4 Subiru or the Hirth F30ES. One's a bit heavy and one's a bit thirsty. When I did the sums for a 4 hour range the extra fuel for the thirsty one made the take off wieghts the same! First I need to speak to people that actually own either of them. You are right about the prop."Ron Herron reckoned that the drag was a no-no", best I say nothing.Where is Bedford near? I have the Southern England and Whales Chart. With all that ink, it must be an interesting country to fly in.Daryl Patterson

Comment

Daryl, Just a bit of warning from experience. If the Hirth F30 you are looking at is the air cooled version, I would be leery of using this engine. We had one on our club trainer. Over a 2 year period it was down more than it was operating. The company service motto was blame the customer. After 2 rubber dampeners went out in the first 20 hours we put a centrifical clutch in and stripped 2 gear boxes in the next 30 hours. Finally found out the crank was .012 out. All of this was blamed on us for improper maintenance. They replaced the crank, then we had an electrical problem that was traced to a pinched wire caused when the factory replaced the crank. Also, the engines have a bad tendancy to develope a crack between the spark plug holes in the heads. This weakens the head in this area and they have been known to blow the spark plug right out of the head. I personally know of 2 F30's and 1 2706 that this has happened to.Brad KingN6372KMad Max II LTC

Comment

Take it from a bundy boy not the jabiru as Tim said gyros are hungry for thrust this means a redrive you missed one posability BMW r1100s with a Auto flight 2.9-1 universal box I'v tried this box on a r1100 & like it Butch

Comment

Working...
                                X