No announcement yet.

Art taking the Aviation Plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Barry has mentioned the frame was welded by Ex ASRA member Jeff Hancock who is a certified aircraft welder. Rod Milne started the project and it took them about 3 weeks,8 hours a day to complete. Most of the tube sizes went up a few MM's during the construction so I'm not to worried about hanging a heavier donk on the front.The frame was sold to another ASRA member and I bought it of him. This frame will be stretched into a two seater and although there still is headroom useing a seat tank I will be having external fuel only.

Comment

As you can see,tall fat ugly men fit OK...Image Insert: 63.7 KBImage Insert: 56.05 KB

Comment

Image Insert: 55.69

Comment

I agree with Barry. When I made the frame of my SE5a I went to great length to make it straight and square. Then I welded it. Then I paniced. A lot of work went into trying to straigten it out with limited success. However, when it was covered it looked great. Now that I'm a country housewife with no access to a free Tig, its Oxy time again.Thanks for the extra photos Murray.Daryl Patterson

Comment

Actually Murray, I have a couple of questions if I may? I would be interested in knowing how you are going to make that machine into a two place. You cannot move any further forward than you show, your knees are very close to the dash, you don't seem to have much leg/foot room and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of head room. Wouldn't it be better to loose the seat tank for a composite one, then you would gain a little more room. The other problem with a seat tank is the awkwardness procedure to fill without spilling fuel inside. You could build a nice thin tank out of alluminium that sits behind the frame behind your back. you should be able to get 60 litres in there and the tank is only 100mm or as thick as a jerry can. I will post a pick of the seat soon. But still, there is the question of how you are going to stretch it for a two place machine, sorry mate but I am curious.

Comment

Here are a couple of shots for your consideration:Image Insert: 48.9 KBThis one is of the seat in position.Image Insert: 22.58 KBWhich can easily be removed to stash some things behind for example tent, sleeping bag etc. I will be taking a mould off this for future reference.Image Insert: 33.59 KBThis is where the seat goes, there is no need to secure it in, it just slots over the bar and is held in place by the pilots weight.Image Insert: 40.88 KBHere is a shot of the dash, having it in a similar position would prevent any rotor flash as mentioned previously.Barry

Comment

Mmmmmm, Art, you just never know where to find them these days.......Image Insert: 39.39

Comment

I wish I'd paid more attention at Mentone 04 now, I was so preoccupied with considering a sparrowhawk i nearly overlooked the LittleWings completely. Just went through my photo stash and was a bit dissapointed at the number of shots I ended up with. Ah well.I heard of a bunch of Pommie guys who are bulding 3 or 4 at the same time in the south of England. I have to be there for a while next year I'll definately be paying them a visit.welding for 3 weeks, 8 hrs a day..... was that with 2 people ?keep the pics coming please, more the merrier.I think I read somewhere the 2 seater version (which I will be building) is flown one up from the rear seat. Can anyone confirm this ?If its true its obviously balance related, just wondering about reading gauges/ the veiw etc...Art SpinkGyroNews Editor

Comment

Barry, As previosly metioned I will have external fuel only,probably a belly tank.Im not to keen about fuel in an enclosed cockpit.The Gyro will be cut behind the bulk head and 500mm added to accomodate the rear seat,even then the rear rudder pedals will be beside the front seat.I would be interested in a couple of those seats you have Barry if available?...Art, yes the two seat LW is soloed from the rear as is the case with most tandem aircraft.

Comment

Can someone lend me 20 grand...Image Insert: 2.79

Comment

Rotec radial on fixed wing at Oshkosh 2005..Image Insert: 85.02 KB

Comment

Hello ArtYes the LW 2 place is flown from the back seat and I too have wondered about what this would be like.I spent 3 weeks with Ron Herron in 1996. A more decent bloke would be hard to find.Good luck with your project it will be a ripper.Gordon Gibson

Comment

In true Australia post fashion the "registered mail" cheque to pay for the plans has gone missing. Waiting waiting.To keep my mind busy in the meantime I've decided to order enough steel to build 2 whole frames and another cockpit. The plan to build a stand alone cockpit is for 2 reasons. Firstly to do a whole bunch of welding practice and testing,and secondly to build a flight simulator based on the latest version of x-plane, using the actual controls and seating positions etc of the littlewing design. The Littlewing is already available as a download for flight dynamics and graphics, and the interface to the computer is not difficult to figure out. I've already done a helicopter version with some success.Anyone out there done any Gyro flightsim time ?Might make an intersting story for gyronews at the same time.. Gotta think ahead..Art SpinkGyroNews Editor

Comment

Working...
                            X