Art taking the Aviation Plunge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art taking the Aviation Plunge

Hi all, As if life wasn't busy enough I've decided after much deliberation, observation, exploratory world trips, conversations, arguments and negotiations ........ to build a LittleWing gyro.Have contacted Ron Herron, just waiting for a response. 2006 is a busy year for me so it will be a bit of a long term project but the seed has been sown..So it begins..cheers,Art

I knew it wouldnt be long ...... I see ROTEC now make a 9 cyl. radial - that would look good out front.

Comment

Spoke to them already, about same price as a top of the line Rotax 4 banger. Seem like a good aussie company with a good attitude....Art Spink...

Comment

Art,So it looks like there may be 2 LW's with radials flying in OZ.If you want to come up anytime and have a look at my LW frame you are welcome.

Comment

Very sad Art, this gyro bug is worse than bird flu. You are now doomed to be just like the rest of us[:0]John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

Will do Murray thanks for the offer. I have a million questions at the moment but will wait for the plans to see what I'm dealing with.very excited though.cheers,Art

Comment

Art,something to get you motivated...Image Insert: 62.61

Comment

Image Insert: 56.52

Comment

The firewall is on back to front, why? How much clearance have you got above your head position with that minty seat tank? What about rotor flash over the dash with it in that angle?

Comment

Go Arthur. Be aware that the Little wing frame is apparently based on the Preceptor aircraft corp Superpup. The standard engine for the Superpup is a 1600 VW. Recomended engine range is 50 -80 HP. The radial is a good engine, but a bit of load analysis may be warranted.Murray. Thanks for the photos. Can we have some more please. How tall are you? That seat looks high. After sitting in the littlewing at Kotta I added 50mm between the upper and lower Longeron. Daryl Patterson

Comment

I'll be very aware of everything...Concept at the moment is to do absolutely everything by the book and in conjunction with the designer Ron Herron.Murray was the frame done here or is it one of the premanufactured ones? Searching for jigs etc and I'm sure you'd learn a lot during the project..fun starts soon ...

Comment

Image Insert: 87.53

Comment

Wow, they're springing up everywhere now. Great to see.What's our preffered welding method ? I have read of Mig and Tig welded variants, and some that used a bit of both, tacked with mig then finish Tig welded.I've started the ring around for 4130 steel but waiting for plans to show up before ordering. British International trading advertise in GyroNews so they will get first option .I plan to do a few test welds to prove material choice/welding style/ weld quality/ heat effect and have them inspected and destructively tested before attempting the whole frame. Art SpinkGyroNews Editor

Comment

MIG or TIG if you are a very good welder. MIG can be deceptive in that the weld may look good when it is not. If you are a handyman type welder Oxy is more forgiving, but the heat may cause more distortion. Now I better get the wife to show me how to make pics smaller that 90Kb the right way!Daryl Patterson

Comment

I have used Oxy but distortion was a big problem for me so I went out and bought a Tig, I have never looked back. I would suggest Art as that being your preference. Murray's rig was welded using Oxy by Jeff Hancock, he spat the dummy a number of times I believe trying to keep it straight and true but eventually succeeded. He said he would never do it again.

Comment

Working...
                              X