VW Engine mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Engine mount

Got a friend needing to mount a VW motor on a benson style frame he is re-building and would appreciate some help locating same...

This will be for a static display in a museum - right?Regards...Chook.

Comment

No Chook.

Comment

G"day Biggles, I have seen a VW powered gyro just lately, maybe a couple of photos would be what your looking for. Ring me if you want to. Darrell 0741635175

Comment

Thanks Daryl I will give you a ring.

Comment

Hmmm - my recollections of these were with the wooden rotors. You would fly them early in the morning then as the air heated up they would fall out of the sky cause they were so under powered and marginal!

Comment

LOL...Actually these little and simple gyros are fun to fly.

Comment

LOL...Actually these little and simple gyros are fun to fly.

Comment

Hi Paul.

Comment

This will be for a static display in a museum - right?Regards...Chook. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DThem days some of us were trialling winding the fuel hose about the engine area, or ducting warm air into air cleaner box via a on / off flap, ( warming the fuel was dicy, too hot you had probs, warm was Ok, as it seemed to raise the threshold before icing began.) Turboing was great, just a couple of lbs boost was needed. ( call bert larkin, he had it down pat..........maybe tim mclure as well, he was in the mix them days )Anyway.......the "static display" wins my vote....... ;D ;D
                    If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

They put 5% alcohol in the fuel here, and I"ve never seen any sign of icing.Some guys in the U.K. years ago used to put 2 to 3% isopropyl alcohol in their fuel which theyclaim eliminated icing problems.Ken Brock used to have a VW motor mount but it was for the prop on the fan/pulley end.My prop is on the Clutch end so I just made one up from a photo on a Bensen manual.Basically a bed of 1.25 box section lengths.Vibration mounts not required.

Comment

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;DThem days some of us were trialling winding the fuel hose about the engine area, or ducting warm air into air cleaner box via a on / off flap, ( warming the fuel was dicy, too hot you had probs, warm was Ok, as it seemed to raise the threshold before icing began.) Turboing was great, just a couple of lbs boost was needed. ( call bert larkin, he had it down pat..........maybe tim mclure as well, he was in the mix them days )Anyway.......the "static display" wins my vote....... ;D ;DI elected for ducting the warm air on my last gyro with an EA81 which no carby-iceing but it used to ice up when I turned the heating off and reduced the revs, which was always made for an interesting flight.

Comment

Try Mark Patterson he baught my EA 81 a few weeks ago to replace a VW motor i think, You nkow him Darrell.Matt. 46 232 669.

Comment

Thanks Matt, Trying to get in touch with Mark to get pictures for Biggles

Comment

Thanks Darrell and Matt.

Comment

Working...
                              X