WTB RAF 1000 or similar wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB RAF 1000 or similar wanted

Hi folks. I am 61yo, live in Melbourne, have a PPL & haven"t flown a Gyro before.The wife is gone & kids have stopped draining my finances - Ahhh - I am interested in a project. RAF 1000 or similar spec enclosed single seater would be nice.Are there any RAF 1000"s in Aus?I am a mechanic. Engines, machining & fabrication doesn"t scare me.Would prefer something as close as possible or that could be shipped to Melbourne easily.Q?Am I on the right forum - all seems very quiet here for Victoria.Where would the best place to see flying Gyro"s - get lessons, airworthy certification etc

G"Day F4U, You"re a young fellow compared to me, and you"re on the right forum. Welcome to the world of Gyro"s. The safest aircraft in the world -- Ken Wallace -- (Provided you don"t stuff up) I haven"t heard of a RAF 1000 but I"m just a bush rat. Sounds like an early single seater? I train out of Darwin in a "Rosco" style trainer. It"s hard to fly, but if you master it you become a "top gun" They are good for mustering due to the instability. I have No trouble teaching young fellows up to 25 yrs. After that you take a lot longer and I have a high drop-out rate of old farts. Your GA experiance should be an advantage. I trained a 10"000hr. jet ranger pilot some time ago and he was a top gun in 45 mins! Cheers, Max

Comment

Q?Am I on the right forum - all seems very quiet here for Victoria.Where would the best place to see flying Gyro"s - get lessons, airworthy certification etcThere are 2 instructors in Vic that I can recommend Reg Thaggard is located in

Comment

G717 is in the for sale section, if its still avalable looks like a good machinePete

Comment

Hi F4U, welcome to the forum and gyros, from what I know no single seat RAF made it to Aus but I could well be wrong. The two contacts that Toolz posted are a good start into the gyro scene in Vic. Gyros can be alot of fun check out as many differt gyros you can there are a few around.Matt

Comment

Thanks for the awesome friendly welcome & Victorian leads lad"s. Great advice As you probably gathered I get fuzzy over the WWII Vought Corsairs, P51"s etcThe RAF 1000 was a handsome low production Hirth powered kit that preceded the RAF 2000 ~ 20 years ago (some say they both had stability issues)I have received a lot of GA flier"s scary negative attitude towards Gyro"s & there is a lot of negative feedback all over the net. Research reveals inherent Gyro issues with insufficient pilot recovery training, CLT, pitch instability, roll over, rotor bar failure. horizontal stabiliser. positive-G inversions etc.As a GA pilot I know every aircraft has it"s limitations. exceed those & you will pay the price. Normally poor design. mechanical neglect or most frequently pilot error.It is apparent that there has been a lot of sophisticated Gyro development on the continent over the past 10 years that has greatly improved the safety image.G717 is an absolutely awesome dream machine. Thank you Pete but I can"t afford it. Maybe one day.It is my desire to create 2013 technology enclosed very lightweight nimble safe & reliable fun machine. I am hoping to find a cheap older style lightweight like a complete Fetter Commander as a project donor & build composite/lexan Cavalon style sleek cabin. Turbo E88? Please PM or SMS 0418 345725. Pics would be terrific. PS - Mad Max - U have permission to buzz the tower.

Comment

F4uI instruct at moruya and also came from GA. only took 2.something hours with a great instructor to be able to fly his trainer after flying a few GA planes..

Comment

Welcome Dean, there"s lots of very good advice available on the forum & also on the asra homepage. I

Comment

A business associate has found a nice registered low hours 2009 RAF 2000 in Europe with a horizontal tail stabiliser fitted.The rotor has storage damage. What would be the best rotor to fit to it & the cost?What would be involved in getting registration here.Would appreciate any opinions on this type of Gyrocopter.What would a similar RAF 2000 be worth in AustraliaYour advice is appreciated chaps

Comment

Mate, it would be better to take up some flying experiences with basic gyro design before embarking into acquiring "advanced" gyro machine. I understand you do have the GA"s ticket and experience that greatly enhanced your appreciation and understanding of gyro"s flight mechanic BUT that does not translate your flying acumen with gyroplane (gyrocopter or autogyro). IMO,

Comment

Mate, it would be better to take up some flying experiences with basic gyro design before embarking into acquiring "advanced" gyro machine. I understand you do have the GA"s ticket and experience that greatly enhanced your appreciation and understanding of gyro"s flight mechanic BUT that does not translate your flying acumen with gyroplane (gyrocopter or autogyro). IMO,

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the advice Lad"sMy European business partner has an opportunity to swap an old sports circuit racing car we have in Aus for this RAF 2000 + cash.I have no intentions of trying to fly it without satisfactory training.Was only wanting to know it"s value & what would be & what would be involved in getting registration.

Comment

Working...
                          X