Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hirth G40(1:2.03)and/or adaptor to suit EA81.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hirth G40(1:2.03)and/or adaptor to suit EA81.

The clutch in the NSI has disintegrated so we need a new PSRU and adaptor. Hirth arent very fast on the return email but they will probably reply eventually so the necessary adaptor would be good by itself (output shaft up), also interested in buying same if somebody will manufacture. Cheers

Mmmmm.... don"t think u can by parts for them?Mine did the same thing on a ea81.I ended up put"n a austflight gearbox on it.If I were u I"d scout around and see if I could get a 2nd hand rotax gear box. That"s only what I wouyld do

Comment

Hello Justin and any others that might find this post. The saga is over.to address Justin"s comment about the availability of the clutch in the NSI. I did spend a considerable amount of time trying to track down where the Sprag clutch in the NSI came from and the conclusions reached were, contrary to widely held views on the Internet it is not out of an auto gearbox, none of the suppliers of parts or repairers could recognise it or anything at all similar. I also had a look at the online manufacturers catalogues with no success and I contacted several of them, also without success. If somebody else wants to pursue this further I would suggest that you have a look at motorbike Sprag"s as they are often slightly unusual as is the NSI and I only spent a relatively short time looking in this area.I didn"t consider a Rotax gearbox because it seems to me the ratios on the larger gearboxes are designed for higher speed 2 strokes, I know many will disagree with me about this but we shall see.I contacted Hirth about obtaining a gearbox, they were extremely difficult to deal with and I never did receive a response to an email. I managed to contact them by asking my son who lives in Germany(and speaks German) to contact them and he did get some verbal information which was never followed up with an email despite my repeated attempts to several email addresses within the company. In the end I gave up because the price quoted would have been $2300 or $2400 landed and then there"s a bit of work to be done to make it fit and I also couldn"t stand dealing with a company who wouldn"t respond to my emails.I then contacted Simonini in Italy, they only answer their emails once a day which can be a bit tiresome but they have a bolt on kit and the price was quite reasonable being only a little higher than the Hirth price for just the gearbox.In the end I have decided to buy the Autoflight from New Zealand, the most expensive of the options but Neils response to email and general availability leaves the others for dead. Simonini was really quite a close 2nd and others might consider contacting them if they find themselves in a similar position.

Comment

I only sent neil 1 e-mail but never got a reply, but are you buying direct from NZ now ???

Comment

over 30 plus yrs i have never seen / heard of any problems with a rotax box on a EA81. ( 2.62 ) best ratio, 76 warp drive prop. Cost of box ......cheap. guys would change the donut every 3....500 hrs, ....maybe seals / bearings just for the hell of it. ( parts etc....easy to get )Save yourself heartache......fit a rotax box.
          If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Comment

I"ve done 1800 hrs with a rotax 2.62 to 1 on an ea81. Same doughnut and only changed oil about every 100 hrs. Used common 90 grade oil. 76" prop. perfect ratio. 5000 rpm full throttle. Must have a machined down subaru flywheel of course. (Thanks to the ingeneous Tim McClure)

Comment

Guys, what would you expect to pay for a rotax 2.62 reduction gearbox?

Comment

PhilS

Comment

Dean, last year floods quoted me $1,960 for a c box 1:2.62 ratio. I reckon chopper would be able to tell you how they hold up to a ej 22. Matt

Comment

Working...
                  X