Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Murray, 100% correct.Pete Barsden

Comment

It got hot Friday Nick, the day I decided to put the rams out! Not a good decisison as had to ride out 20 k's into that hot wind on a motor bike. Was something like a blast furnce, my wife was driving the car with the trailer load of rams and had trouble keeping 50 k's an hour into the wind. My idea was to catch the sheep on water which was sucessfull but later in he afternoon, we found 5 of my neighbours rams in a mob and I had to cut them out with the bike and bulldg them as the dogs had retired because of the hot ground, this was pretty hard work for me on a big 600 which I can't throw around like a 250 !!So the air con was working okay but not where we were Brian

Comment

Tim gave the correct answer (in less than one line), but the topic is still going two pages later!Daryl Patterson

Comment

It is true when done properly but when using hand swagers, it might be better to be on the safe side with two in line. I can visualise the inscription in the marble now...Well it should have been right...Pete

Comment

Pete, even if a swage was to fail, it should not result in marble inscriptions, worse case scenario should be cable around prop or rudder full on one way or the other. A interesting landing to come !!Good to keep a topic going Daryl, can get a bit quiet on here sometimes Brian

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BrianPete, even if a swage was to fail, it should not result in marble inscriptions, worse case scenario should be cable around prop or rudder full on one way or the other. A interesting landing to come !!Good to keep a topic going Daryl, can get a bit quiet on here sometimes BrianBrian, I have had that experience. It was an interesting BUT very sad landing. []www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

I duno wot the worry is bout swages. Gyros are way over engineered to start with, and if i could only post sum of the things i'v seen in the place of propper swages without getn into trouble i would. But theres not alota stress on a swage or cable anyway, only the tension of the pilots foot pressure times 3 at most, hardly wot youd call stress.[ and after see'n the 'stress' the substitute swages were under, without fail'n, you got nuthn to worry bout.]Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

If only Tarzan didnt try to hoist himself up on a skinny little wire that wasnt swagged propperly in the first place, I could have done something productive with the ten minutes that I have spent reading this little gem!

Comment

I think I just went from bemused to confused!Daryl Patterson

Comment

quote:Originally posted by telfWhile on the subject, what/where, etc for buying the correct gear for swaging.Personal opinions anyone??telfFlying - The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. (Douglas Adams-The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)

Comment

quote:Originally posted by telfWhile on the subject, what/where, etc for buying the correct gear for swaging.Personal opinions anyone??telfFlying - The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. (Douglas Adams-The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)telfBy far the greatest volume of swaging is in the stainless/marine/guard-rail fencing etc. Having just completed installing 54 completed SS lines I have found that you are better off to have the professionals do the swaging for you. A bad job is b.. awful and likely dangerous as we have seen the tragic outcome on these forum pages. I gave the dimensions and they were returned the product to me, spot on.It is important to understand what your options are and from the start I strongly recommend you speak to this mob, they are friendy, professional and helpful even for a one-off job. (no relations!!!)I have shopped around Sydney and the best product and by-the-way cheapest I found was Thomsons Outdoor Pine Pty Ltd in Thornleigh NSW 2120 Telephone number 02 9980 7611. Good luclVinceo

Comment

As most of us aren't Engineers, or anything approaching an Engineer's bootlace we seem to have a problem accepting engineering specs and using engineering practices. The fact is that a properly done swage is extremely strong. Still not sure if it's good enough?Then follow the specs on this web site and proof load the thing, the Factors of safety built into those specs ensure that the load is well in excess of anything it will encounter in service.If you can't get hold of a swaging tool get someone who is experienced to do it, but fair go it's not rocket science.John EvansThink logically and do things well, think laterally and do things better.

Comment

Thats right John, even I can do swages BUT you have got to have the right tool !!!!!Dont think they are cheap though .Brian

Comment

And if your a coulpe o thousand miles from the shop that sells the tool, it ain't rocket science to make one, thatll do the same job, and is just as strong, solong as you actualy use the right size swage thingy.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.You can always get the answer you want, if you ask enough experts.

Comment

Hard to beat a hammer and chisel Birdy or do you just drive over the swage with the dozer Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X