No announcement yet.

2015 Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So if I"m at designed MTOW and I load an additional say 50kg of weight to the nose of my gyro I won"t run out of back stick in flight is that what your saying Mark? I"m of the understanding that you can, and I believe a gyrocopter crash was attributed to that fact, although in that case it was tail heavy, and there was other contributing factorsYeah a evenly weighted overloaded machine should stay in design limits for controllability but if it"s forward or backward of design CG you can find yourself in trouble, just saying....

Comment

You make a very interesting and valued point there Mark.What is a good climb rate? Some gyros I have seen have a extremely good climb rate.eg.Ej22,Ej 25,Some light weight 912"s.I have a old Ea 81.Wondering if it"s climb rate is acceptable? At a guess it could be around 500ft a minute?

Comment

you couldn"t climb 500 ft a minute jussy. flying straight for 1 whole friggen" minute,[ even if it was climbing.]

Comment

So if I"m at designed MTOW and I load an additional say 50kg of weight to the nose of my gyro I won"t run out of back stick in flight is that what your saying Mark? I"m of the understanding that you can, and I believe a gyrocopter crash was attributed to that fact, although in that case it was tail heavy, and there was other contributing factorsYeah a evenly weighted overloaded machine should stay in design limits for controllability but if it"s forward or backward of design CG you can find yourself in trouble, just saying....OK Trent! Of course 50kg on the nose will clearly mean that you"ll virtually have no back stick left, but when you posted year earlier comment the thread was dealing with the simple question of what happens if a gyro is simply overweight (rather than out of balance), and the answer is (1) the rotor speed will be higher, and (2) the climb rate will be lower. One of my posts several weeks back dealt with precisely this issue of nose-up or nose-down keel angle, and how in situations where a heavyweight pilot has jumped onto a gyro setup for a lightweight pilot, and then manages to get airborne, the frame will be hanging really nose-low and the pilot will have very little back stick travel left over. That could lead to an inability to flare properly when he comes back around to land. The gyro is also likely to wheelbarrow on which can be unpleasant.The reverse is true if a flyweight pilot gets on a gyro set up for a heavyweight pilot - this time as the gyro comes off the ground with a very tail down hang angle the pilot will find that he or she is pushing in 3/4 forward stick for straight and level. As airspeed increases the remaining forward stick travel will be used up pretty quickly.

Comment

You make a very interesting and valued point there Mark.What is a good climb rate? Some gyros I have seen have a extremely good climb rate.eg.Ej22,Ej 25,Some light weight 912"s.I have a old Ea 81.Wondering if it"s climb rate is acceptable? At a guess it could be around 500ft a minute? Hi Justin,The minimum climb rate acceptable for an ASRA gyro is in the Construction Standards as a climb to 1000" agl must be done in not less than 4 minutes, so that averages out to 250 feet per minute. The assumption is that this test will be at ISA sea level, 15 deg C, 1013mb. Chuck in a fair swag of density altitude, and that rate could easily be halved. Chuck in an engine putting out less than maximum output for various reasons, and you"ll cut that climb rate back even more. Climbing at a few knots too low will claw the rate back even further.My own personal view matches yours - IMHO 500" per minute should really be regarded as the target climb rate, or maybe even 600 fpm, because that"s 10 feet per second - easy to mentally calculate "on the fly".Cheers,Mark R

Comment

mentally calculate . I can"t even do that with my calculator.

Comment

Working...
              X