No announcement yet.

Further to Birdy's Heli/Gyro dilemma...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further to Birdy's Heli/Gyro dilemma...

Hi all,I"ve often wondered if there is a modification/build design for helicopters that could suit a disabled person who had no use of their legs.This is easily solved in a fixed wing aircraft where the throttle/rudder is controlled similarly to a collective on a helicopter. (i.e. throttle on the twist grip and left/right rudder using up/down motion of the lever.)One disabled gentleman managed to fly a Hughes 300 using a thumb tab on the stick that controlled a hydraulic device that moved the rudder pedals but this seems only good if you can"t modify the machine permanently.I thought about a twist-grip (as the space shuttle/Mercury, Gemini and Apollo Capsules had) on the stick for yaw but in the case of a gyro, obviously there is not enough leverage unless assisted by some means e.g. hydraulics (extra weight/compexity/more systems that can fail!)But model helicopter controllers use one of the thumb sticks for collective/throttle.So, I thought, why not have *two* two-axis sticks, but the collective also having a left-right movement for rudder?So, you"ve got your cyclic stick doing what it does, plug a collective stick that does up/down for rotor pitch, twist grip for throttle (as is the convention for single-engined light helicopters) but also left and right for rudder!Yes, it would take getting used to, but so does any major change!Thoughts?

No reason why that couldnt work.Obviosly itd be a one man machine, coz the pilot isa one machine man.Itd be just the same as us, we have to get used to the coordination of syncronised control inputs by more than one limb.Robby Cook is workn on a systm ina gyro where he can fly it with only his toung. Are you thinkn of gyro or heli?

Comment

I had it worked out how to do it, but the person i had in mind to do it for, was worse than i thought ie. ended up near full quadraplegic,

Comment

Hi Birdy,At the time I was thinking helicopter but not actually for me - purely as a "What if?" scenario.I"ve long since come to the conclusion that there are only two types of helicopter pilots - career pilots (where someone else or a sustainable business is paying the bills!) or the "High net-worth citizens" of the world (i.e. bloody rich!)Sadly, I am neither of these! Most of my powered fixed wing hours are in a Jabiru, which of course has a tiny side stick (for the left seat!) which you need only think about to move. I was thinking about a design of aircraft that could be flown entirely with one hand (i.e. side stick with twist grip for rudder and possibly a pistol-trigger type arrangement for throttle.)If you could accomplish this, then you could free up your other hand and both feet for other things/nothing/pick your nose/etc!There is an American girl who flies an Aercoupe with no arms, but entirely with her feet.I was doing a "What if?" for an extreme case of disability.Thoughts?

Comment

Is this when I make a comment about Bones being legless and fly"s with arms only, or is it best not to mention that detail???Graeme.

Comment

Oh! Really?Well, I"m encouraged to hear that!Thumbs up to Bones and my most heartfelt admiration to him!

Comment

... That is, in admiration of his achievement! Sadly, there is too much discrimination towards "differently-abled" people of this world, especially when it comes to aviation. I am proud and encouraged to hear that the gyrocopter community of Australia is *not* this way inclined!

Comment

you can bet your left one that if lost an arm or leg id figure a way.Lucky for me, a brain aint mandatory for flyn.

Comment

MMM,you are stating the obvious bird.I know that you have a no brain. :-[

Comment

even after the amount i had to drink this is gonna get betta

Comment

Geez kimberly, that must mean you is propa smart then ay?

Comment

MMM,you are stating the obvious bird.I know that you have a no brain. :-[

Comment

There is nothing wrong with our friend Kym.He has views on things and expresses them just like the rest of us. He may look at topics from a different angle and have different opinions and I like to read them.A friend of mine is crosseyed and he looks at things differently than the rest of us.I just love having a shot at people and taking the p1ss out of them in fun, it"s the Australian way. If I was to be upset or angry you would know very quickly by my posts.A little banter back and forwards is good for the soul and keeps others entertained.Just look at how I treat my mobility impaired friend Bones.Graeme.

Comment

Thats rite Joe, your doc wouldnt be able to help poor kimbo, coz them sorta docs work on a functioning brain.She"d be wundern wot you want her to do with the empty box .

Comment

Ahh Mr Monro ,you read me well.

Comment

Working...
                              X