No announcement yet.

Ians Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ian,Looks good. One thing I noticed that I would do different would be to round off the internal corners of your plates instead of coming to a sharp point.

Comment

yeah the corners are a 10mm radius You cant see it from that distance but if you imagine an overhead router cutting it . Any internal corner must be

Comment

small correction the ignition unit with wiring harness is 1600 euro not dollarsdoes anyone have an opinion on prerotators i was thinking of hydraulic

Comment

Mechanical, with a proper slipper clutch.

Comment

Mechanical, with a proper slipper clutch.In other words, a RAF unit with modifications. Birdy is the man to talk with there. I personally like electric cause its simple [car starter motor] yes, you need a good battery but its pretty much trouble free and it puts weight up top to make your thrust line a bit better.

Comment

Right arm: no wires, no moving parts, good for your heart, and doesn"t fail when you need it most. Furthermore teach"s you more about rotor management which is the best when just starting out. Many of the gyros Mt03 and Ela have suffered accidents due to bad rotor management due to a pilots lack of knowledge and understanding of the spinning mass above their head. Pushing a button is way too easy and not educational.

Comment

He only asked my opinion Ken, not wot he should use. But your rite, an armstrong prespinner is the best, till you hava handle on how to fly proper.

Comment

Thanks for the input I will check out an RAF and see if i can use one . On the armstrong prerotator . that is probably a lot easier in an open frame single seater .I did get taught by Murray Barker and he was pretty strict on rotor management I know i cursed him at the time but i am very thankful after getting a bit of experience. I have seen and heard about the results of bad rotor management. He also taught me about pruning the top of pine trees but i will leave that for the gardening forum. I have about 200 hrs up {not much compared to you guys but i have always been very careful on the ground}I did have to prerotate the MT03 by hand when i got to the keys and the little valves that switch the airflow to the prerotator refused to work Everything else worked fine so i wasnt going to waste an early start to the day. I read on one of these forums that supposedly you couldnt do it.Maybe it was just a dream.

Comment

Hi Ian,Interested to hear how you go with the BMW engine using the TakeOff

Comment

OK i will keep you posted How does yours go apart from that and what sort of prop did you useMy skills dont include anything that will help me set up the motor as far as tuning goes. I can do basic stuff but if anyone knows someone in Brizzy who would be able to help i am all earsI am just in the process of ordering the harness and ignition. Still got a lot of work to do. Stay tuned

Comment

I use similar hydraulic mountain-bike disk brakes on my (single-seat, open cockpit) gyro, although I have them on my mains, not the front wheel, so I can use them for brake-steering on the ground etc while taxiing.

Comment

I"m using a 68" Patroney prop with 3.5/1 gears in the re drive. The engine runs fine through the rev range, it"s only starting and idle that I"m having problems with. The mapping was done with O2 sensors in the original exhaust with a Microtec Lamda meter to adjust the mixture. interested to see how yours goes as I believe the TakeOff ECU is a plug and play unit and therefor not programmable, correct me if that"s not the case.

Comment

Yes you are correct it is plug n play I was interested in it because it is widely used with any of Wilfrieds set ups and therefore proven to work. The last thing i want is to be trying to work out sensors and ignitions etc. If i can spend a bit xtra on this i think it might save me a bit of heartburn down the track . I have the 3.5/ 1 reduction drive. Curious to know what sort of performance you get from it .I have a standard exhaust which i will try and use in combination with some other bits and pieces to adapt it Ian

Comment

Just checked out ELA 09 junior . It is offered standard with 1200 bmw This is great . I dont have to worry about

Comment

I was just thinking about this build today and wondered how it was going, and then also wondering why I hadn"t seen a certain old mate for a while , the mate walked in today and now this post is going again, ??? pity it didn"t work like that on the lotto and thinking about ell McPherson. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D oh yeah not necessarily in that order.

Comment

Working...
                                X