Pocket bike wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket bike wheels

Hi guys,I am going to use three pocket bike rims and tyres for my little helicopter project as I don't really have to worry about excessive RPM's etc....When they actually arrived, I have to admit that they are a top little alloy rim and tyre and one that I would seriously consider using on a gyro if/when I build one. The ones I have are rated up to 75 kms/hr which is not too bad. I did get one of them up to speed and found that there was a slight balance issue but not sure if it was due to a relatively low tyre pressure. Any way, I thought that I would put the idea out there for others to consider if the need arises. At $35.00 bucks each .......CheersPaul

Paul,Something to be mindful of... they may be rated for that speed, but I would warn, probably at pocket bike loads only.Considering you may be doing the odd 80 km/h with about 150 kg on each of your main wheels on a gyro, I would not recommend the use of them without a test for that load at that speed.The next consideration is how they perform under a shock load, ie, an engine out landing, an out landing or a rough landing, or, as in my dumb case, taxiing through a paddock, certainly the suspension system I had didn't cope, resulting in about $4k of costs to get back in the air, something to be really mindful of.Hope this helps,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Paul,Something to be mindful of... they may be rated for that speed, but I would warn, probably at pocket bike loads only.Considering you may be doing the odd 80 km/h with about 150 kg on each of your main wheels on a gyro, I would not recommend the use of them without a test for that load at that speed.The next consideration is how they perform under a shock load, ie, an engine out landing, an out landing or a rough landing, or, as in my dumb case, taxiing through a paddock, certainly the suspension system I had didn't cope, resulting in about $4k of costs to get back in the air, something to be really mindful of.Hope this helps,Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Comment

Comment

My biggest problem would be getting my machine up to 80 kms in the air let alone on the ground!

Comment

My biggest problem would be getting my machine up to 80 kms in the air let alone on the ground!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Marcus,Believe me, I currently have the same problem...Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Marcus,Believe me, I currently have the same problem...Nicholas TomlinAlarmist - www.alarmist.com.au - we scare for you

Comment

Comment

Comment

Thanks Nique,I had a thinksy about weight but I still reckon that they can handle it more than well enough...... "She'll be right mate".... Being a single cast alloy rim I wouldn't be surprised if they could handle a hell of a lot more load than what they currently experience. I reckon they would handle a heavy landing better than the supports used to mount them. I guess you could well use the same argument on Go-Cart wheels in the fact that they only have relatively low loadings on them as well.Anyway, I should stress (unintentional pun), that I am in no way a structural engineer when it comes to these wheels etc, I personally will look into using them in the future though.CheersPaul

Comment

Thanks Nique,I had a thinksy about weight but I still reckon that they can handle it more than well enough...... "She'll be right mate".... Being a single cast alloy rim I wouldn't be surprised if they could handle a hell of a lot more load than what they currently experience. I reckon they would handle a heavy landing better than the supports used to mount them. I guess you could well use the same argument on Go-Cart wheels in the fact that they only have relatively low loadings on them as well.Anyway, I should stress (unintentional pun), that I am in no way a structural engineer when it comes to these wheels etc, I personally will look into using them in the future though.CheersPaul

Comment

Working...
                              X