Aluminium sources?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminium sources?

Hi guys,I am trying to source some 6061 ally tube. I have found it at various places but is mainly used for scaffolding etc so are limited in their diameters. Airport metals in Melb have a pretty good selection but they add around 70% because they issue a release cert' with each piece.....Is there any other places that have a wide selection of structural aluminium?Also, what is the rotor mast made of in most gyros out there.... I am assuming it is 6061, but it is extremely hard to find in box section so I'm thinking you may be using something elseAny help here will be greatly appreciatedCheersPaul

Paul,Jack Allan has stocks of 2.5 x 2" RHS for mast sections. If you look in the rear pages of the Gyro News you will also note that the Northern Rivers Gyro Club sells lengths of it as well. Jeff Henley Smith also sells an airfoil section which he uses as a mast, you can contact most of these people via this site though Jack may not - Llewella may be able to oblige with his number if you ring her or if she is reading here she might care to post same..Consider also a composite mast of 2 x 2 x 1" sections for redundancy if 2.5 x 2 is not your preference, but I strongly suggest against the use of a singular 2 x 2" due to the history of roll over failures - it is not adequate for masts or mainframes in my opinion, unless you are having an internal redundant member inside the 2 x 2, but then the redundant member is not easily inspected for cracks on a regular basis.Hope this helps,Nick.

Comment

A little point worth considering, the grade is 6061T6 and the size is 65mm x 52mm. My recommendations are for the radius internal corners. Where are you located? Just checked your profile, it is available out at Zillmere.

Comment

Thanks guys,Barry, can you give us a little more detail on whom at zillmere I can get 6061T6 through..Thanks Paul

Comment

Sorry Paul, the Company is Caprial, they used to be Aluminium Services & Supplies, located at 52 Zillmere Road, Zillmere phone (07)33265-5355, fax (07)3865-1383Regards, Barry

Comment

Thanks mate,Paul

Comment

Hi Barry,"My recommendations are for the radius internal corners"Sorry newbie here, with regards to the above statement, I am assuming that you mean that the internal corners of the rectangular tubing come"s in either square (top pic)or or with a slight radius (bottom pic) in it?.loafar.
              Attached Files

Comment

G"Day Loafar,Barry dosent come here any more least wise not as a member I recognise. He may be lurking but I dont think he will respond. It goes back a few years now.Internal radiused is good. Sqaure internal corners may result in stress risers.Although I fly on a mast of 2" X 2" which has a tube inserted into it and serves as a redundancy. This is not the standard in Australia and I am not suggesting you ar anyone else use this process.Cheers,Mitch

Comment

Working...
                X