What rotors to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rotors to buy?

BFP is just a few weeks away from flight testing. She is a two seat side by side machine with a EJ20 quad cam on her back. She sports 2 by 70 liter seat-tanks and is admittedly on the obese side. Thought I might fly her initially on my Petroni 27's but there is a chance I might be selling them with a machine very shortly so better organise another set for BFP to be on the safe side. What do you recommend for this baby?Here is a picture I took today after roughly fitting the pod. Tomorrow I will fine tune the fitting and then clean the pod up for painting.Image Insert: 42.02

quote:Originally posted by pbradleyBFP is just a few weeks away from flight testing. She is a two seat side by side machine with a EJ20 quad cam on her back. She sports 2 by 70 liter seat-tanks and is admittedly on the obese side. Thought I might fly her initially on my Petroni 27's but there is a chance I might be selling them with a machine very shortly so better organise another set for BFP to be on the safe side. What do you recommend for this baby?Here is a picture I took today after roughly fitting the pod. Tomorrow I will fine tune the fitting and then clean the pod up for painting.Image Insert: 42.02 KBPeteBairnsdale,Vic.I think you will need 30 footer Patroney's for that baby. When you bring her for the Vic. TAs course with Adrian, I have a few sets of rotors you can try. 30'Rafs, 30' Patroney twisted and tapered, and my high performance 30' Patroneys that have the VR7 airfoil over the last 4'. You had better plan on staying for a few days after the course!!!What mast lay back angle do you have Pete?Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by pbradleyBFP is just a few weeks away from flight testing. She is a two seat side by side machine with a EJ20 quad cam on her back. She sports 2 by 70 liter seat-tanks and is admittedly on the obese side. Thought I might fly her initially on my Petroni 27's but there is a chance I might be selling them with a machine very shortly so better organise another set for BFP to be on the safe side. What do you recommend for this baby?Here is a picture I took today after roughly fitting the pod. Tomorrow I will fine tune the fitting and then clean the pod up for painting.Image Insert: 42.02 KBPeteBairnsdale,Vic.I think you will need 30 footer Patroney's for that baby. When you bring her for the Vic. TAs course with Adrian, I have a few sets of rotors you can try. 30'Rafs, 30' Patroney twisted and tapered, and my high performance 30' Patroneys that have the VR7 airfoil over the last 4'. You had better plan on staying for a few days after the course!!!What mast lay back angle do you have Pete?Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

PeteAs you know I like the Patroney blades.If you still unsure of the size requirements, then speak to Rob, and then check out the attached link. http://www.skywheels.com/selection.htmlMost blades today use a 8H12 Profile, and are of 8-9 inch standard, or twisted cord.The Skywheel link will give you a better idea of blade length compared to weight.Regards Sam. Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

PeteAs you know I like the Patroney blades.If you still unsure of the size requirements, then speak to Rob, and then check out the attached link. http://www.skywheels.com/selection.htmlMost blades today use a 8H12 Profile, and are of 8-9 inch standard, or twisted cord.The Skywheel link will give you a better idea of blade length compared to weight.Regards Sam. Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

PaulThe VR7 profile, is it symetrical, or assymetrical.What is its advantage ?Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

PaulThe VR7 profile, is it symetrical, or assymetrical.What is its advantage ?Sam.Melbourne Vic.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SamLPaulThe VR7 profile, is it symetrical, or assymetrical.What is its advantage ?Sam.Melbourne Vic.If I tell you Sam I would have to kill you!!! I will see if I can remember to take some pics. The advantage was a much superior performance. I.e. a saving of around 400 engine rpm to do the same job. Disadvantage is the stability is not as good. The VR7 does not have any reflex. It is reflex that creates drag and also helps with the stability. They are pitch neutral. If you pull back on the stick to reduce airspeed say 10% and let go of the stick they will stay at that new airspeed. Hardly any trim change from 30 to 70 kts. A musterer would love them. You are not fighting trim changes as airspeed changes. I sent them back to Rob and he warmed the trailing edge and added a smidgeon (technical word) of reflex. This improved the stability a little.I then added some large trim tabs approx 3' from the tip and bent them up 5 degrees to add some more reflex pitching moment. The tabs were approx 8" long and came out the back approx 1.5". This again was a small improvement in the stability. I am looking forward to the production Firebird so that I can try these blades again without the trim tabs, to see if they will pass the new LSA pitch stability standard.Rob then made me a set with the thinning the taper and the twist but without the change in airfoil. These are the current design blades he makes. We got the stability back but lost 200 engine rpm of the 400 we gained.About this time I gave the testing away to concentrate on Firebird as Hybrid was not the end product. There was no point in perfecting the Hybrid as the Firebird aerodynamics would be different. I really enjoyed those couple of years of comprehensive testing of rotors, props, redrive ratios, torque tube offset. I learnt one hellova lot, and am looking forward to fine tuning Firebird with the knowledge I gained with Hybrid.I wasn't slacking off on Firebird, I was busy testing!!!Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by SamLPaulThe VR7 profile, is it symetrical, or assymetrical.What is its advantage ?Sam.Melbourne Vic.If I tell you Sam I would have to kill you!!! I will see if I can remember to take some pics. The advantage was a much superior performance. I.e. a saving of around 400 engine rpm to do the same job. Disadvantage is the stability is not as good. The VR7 does not have any reflex. It is reflex that creates drag and also helps with the stability. They are pitch neutral. If you pull back on the stick to reduce airspeed say 10% and let go of the stick they will stay at that new airspeed. Hardly any trim change from 30 to 70 kts. A musterer would love them. You are not fighting trim changes as airspeed changes. I sent them back to Rob and he warmed the trailing edge and added a smidgeon (technical word) of reflex. This improved the stability a little.I then added some large trim tabs approx 3' from the tip and bent them up 5 degrees to add some more reflex pitching moment. The tabs were approx 8" long and came out the back approx 1.5". This again was a small improvement in the stability. I am looking forward to the production Firebird so that I can try these blades again without the trim tabs, to see if they will pass the new LSA pitch stability standard.Rob then made me a set with the thinning the taper and the twist but without the change in airfoil. These are the current design blades he makes. We got the stability back but lost 200 engine rpm of the 400 we gained.About this time I gave the testing away to concentrate on Firebird as Hybrid was not the end product. There was no point in perfecting the Hybrid as the Firebird aerodynamics would be different. I really enjoyed those couple of years of comprehensive testing of rotors, props, redrive ratios, torque tube offset. I learnt one hellova lot, and am looking forward to fine tuning Firebird with the knowledge I gained with Hybrid.I wasn't slacking off on Firebird, I was busy testing!!!Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Peter you could talk to Peter Barsden with regard to his rotors, just a suggestion or ask Adrian as he has flown Peters blades. All the best.What you focus on grows. Des Gravin Bullsbrook Geraldton's (southern suburb) W.A.

Comment

Peter you could talk to Peter Barsden with regard to his rotors, just a suggestion or ask Adrian as he has flown Peters blades. All the best.What you focus on grows. Des Gravin Bullsbrook Geraldton's (southern suburb) W.A.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Des GarvinPeter you could talk to Peter Barsden with regard to his rotors, just a suggestion or ask Adrian as he has flown Peters blades. All the best.What you focus on grows. Des Gravin Bullsbrook Geraldton's (southern suburb) W.A.Des, the problem is Pete Barsdens rotors are not availible comercaily, so it does not matter how good they may or may not be.Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Des GarvinPeter you could talk to Peter Barsden with regard to his rotors, just a suggestion or ask Adrian as he has flown Peters blades. All the best.What you focus on grows. Des Gravin Bullsbrook Geraldton's (southern suburb) W.A.Des, the problem is Pete Barsdens rotors are not availible comercaily, so it does not matter how good they may or may not be.Aussie Paul.[]www.firebirdgyros.com

Comment

Working...
                          X