No announcement yet.

Another engine maybe????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi PeteThe jet ski engines produce heaps of HP but the cooling is the issue. I am converting a Kawasaki 650 engine and with the right carbi will produce mid 60hp - roughly equivalent to a Rotax 582 but only a tenth of the price!!! The Kawasaki is 627cc compared to 580.7cc for the Rotax, so it should have potential to produce more power. I am preferring to be conservative and just aim for equivalent power.I am using a Davies Craig electronic controller and water pump which is 280% over spec - BUT!!!! Jet ski"s get their cooling water straight out of the ocean or river they are floating in and it is bloody cold compared to normal cooling systems! So in order to avoid major thermal differentials the cooling water is directed in through a water jacket around the exhaust manifold to pre-heat the water. The factory water inlets are tiny - 3/8BSP!!! So it does take a bit of engineering to get the water in and out in sufficient volume. Time will tell, if it is going to work OK.Coming up both the next model Nissan Micra and the Ford Festiva are releasing new 3 cylinder, 12 valve VVT, fuel injected 1000cc, 80 hp engines that should be very interesting and much better than the old Suzuki G10.TimC

Comment

That BMW motor with what i am assuming is a C type rotax gear box looks the goods. any further info on that unit? Any web links or pictures of the build there Airwolf?Matt.

Comment

Hi Matt, the gearbox is a TakeOff from Germany made for the BMW boxer engines.( www.takeoff-ul.de ). It has a centrifugal clutch as well as a rubber doughnut damper. Different ratios are available.Will post some photos when available.Cheers, Ray.

Comment

Its interesting to note that very few engines enjoy constant revs. Lycoming /Continental etc are rated for about 2,200 hours before overhaul which isnt all that much when you consider the cost of the engine, however, they have spent a lot of money to get these engines reliable enough to sit on 2450 revs for hours on end...give or take a few revs.The suby, particularly the 2.2 doesnt to mind constant revs and of course, we have the rotax 912 /914 that were designed specificially for aircraft use that stand up for over 2000 hours plus.Good luck to those trying bike engines cause alternatives are good but me thinks some are going to be disappointed with the outcome you are possibly going to get.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying about the reducton box Ray and also for the link. I"m looking forward to the pictures. hope it all goes to plan. Matt.

Comment

Working...
            X