Clockwise or counter clockwise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clockwise or counter clockwise?

I was wondering which way the engines normally turn on gyro engines here in Australia and whether the PRSU's are geared to turn the same way or not? A lot of the data from american sites indicate a clockwise rotation, but I know that when I owed a Corby Starlet it was a counter clockwise engine when viewed from behind.Ted

Wots a PRSU??Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.Ingratitude stinks.......be generous carefully.

Comment

PRSU is the unit, like a fixed ratio gearbox, which is sometimes fitted between the engine and the propeller to govern the speed of the prop. (as I understand it)Ted

Comment

PRSU = Propeller Reduction Speed Unit. A lot easier to say "Re-drive".99% of real engines turn the same direction as viewed from what the manufacturer considers to be the front of the engine. Some exceptions are 912 Rotax, Honda car, and I think Lycombing's and Continental's.Tim McClure

Comment

Spoken like my old school teachers Ozy.... like I needed to be reminded!!![]And I suppose Birdy is just waiting in the wings to tell me "round Ted, it turns round when on" Drive a man to drink it will![^][^][^]

Comment

Wots this "real" engine crap Tim.Real engines run the right way, round n round.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.Ingratitude stinks.......be generous carefully.

Comment

Aaaaaaggggggghhhhh!!!!! Give that bottle![!][!][!]

Comment

Gidday Ted,The bottom line is the result at the end of the PSRU, and this will depend if it is belt or gear driven, and if the engine turns in a normal direction in the Southern hemisphere. Which direction the thrust goes will then depend on whether or not you put a normal southern hemisphere pitched prop on it. But watch out for coriolis.However, if you put diesel in an SJ25 when it is hot, it will try to run in the opposite to normal direction, but I don't know which is normal.Beer o'clock.Waddles.
                Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Sorry Ted.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.Ingratitude stinks.......be generous carefully.

Comment

Okay.... since you all want to see how much alcohol I can handle, let me rephrase the question.On your gyro, which way does the prop turn when viewing the aircraft from behind, and please state what type of engine you are running, and whether its considered southern hemisphere suited and whether theres a re drive fitted?Thank youTed

Comment

clock wise,well thers an oxymoron.Im digitalboundry rider

Comment

Dunno, both mine are electric start and they is behind me.Ignorance is bliss............but only till you realise you were.Ingratitude stinks.......be generous carefully.

Comment

Thank you Peter, 12 replies before a clear answer....

Comment

Working...
                          X