EJ25 Injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EJ25 Injectors

Dropped a cylinder in my EJ25 recently and finally traced the most likely cause to injectors. Changed plugs, checked compression and lead resistances, all good.
    Pulled the injectors, had them tested and sure enough, one was bad. No problem thought I, just nip on over to Sun Spares and get new ones. Hah! Turns out that the engine is a JAP import and the injectors in it are not the same as the Oz ones. I chased all over Oz with no luck. Even had performance people check their exotic contacts with no luck.
    Enter Mr. Google. Reconditioned ones available ex USA at around US$50 each, but no full sets. One here and one there. And, US$150 in freight charges each. So, took a punt and ordered a new set from China. At around $80, I thought that if they were no good, then the cost wouldn't break the bank.
    They arrived is very quick time, less than 3 weeks. I took them to the injector guy who checked them out. Two were crook, but came up to spec after ultrasonic cleaning and whatever else they do. Fitted them yesterday and did a full power ground run with good results. No missing and smooth. Mixtures are a little richer than before which is to be expected. Test fly tomorrow at a couple of grand over the strip just in case.
    The moral of the story is to have any new injectors, especially from China, checked out before trusting them in our gyros.

Compliments of the Season to one and All.

Waddles
    Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Good tip for everyone as Rotax also heads down the fuel injection route……..finally.

Comment

I've got plenty of second hand EJ25 injectors and manifolds sitting around. Free to good homes as I've buggered a few engines over the years through my own ignorance. I've found one can't have enough spare bits as I once walked into the Subaru agent and purchased a cam angle sensor which I later discovered I didn't require and the cost for this little alloy can with a coil of fine wire was $250. Any way it's all a good learning experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Waddles View Post
        Dropped a cylinder in my EJ25 recently and finally traced the most likely cause to injectors. Changed plugs, checked compression and lead resistances, all good.
        Pulled the injectors, had them tested and sure enough, one was bad. No problem thought I, just nip on over to Sun Spares and get new ones. Hah! Turns out that the engine is a JAP import and the injectors in it are not the same as the Oz ones. I chased all over Oz with no luck. Even had performance people check their exotic contacts with no luck.
        Enter Mr. Google. Reconditioned ones available ex USA at around US$50 each, but no full sets. One here and one there. And, US$150 in freight charges each. So, took a punt and ordered a new set from China. At around $80, I thought that if they were no good, then the cost wouldn't break the bank.
        They arrived is very quick time, less than 3 weeks. I took them to the injector guy who checked them out. Two were crook, but came up to spec after ultrasonic cleaning and whatever else they do. Fitted them yesterday and did a full power ground run with good results. No missing and smooth. Mixtures are a little richer than before which is to be expected. Test fly tomorrow at a couple of grand over the strip just in case.
        The moral of the story is to have any new injectors, especially from China, checked out before trusting them in our gyros.

Compliments of the Season to one and All.

Waddles
        How did the test flight go?

Comment

Test flight good thanks. Just 20 mins overhead the field, but I'm hoping to take it a bit further tomorrow. It will need retuning but I'll run it a little rich for a few hours anyway.

Waddles.
          Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Working...
          X