Lucky the misses didn't come along.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky the misses didn't come along.

Was heading across to Noonamah the other day in my Rosco copy hot cam ea81 and decided to drop in to old mate at Hues who had just moved into 20 acres and made a 500 mtr. airstrip down one side. I was to be the first A/C to christen the strip. I circled 3 times assessing the situation (and waking the neighbours at 7.30 am) There were power wires at one end in the neighbour"s place, two tall trees about one quarter the way down quite close together, and tall trees at the other end and no wind. I decided to give it a go. Landing of course was a piece of cake. I taxied to the power wire end and wound her up but slowed down through the trees as it was quite scary. Then full throttle and quickly realised only a 50/50 chance of clearing the trees so aborted. I turned around and tried the other way, winding up the blades and soon realised I wasn"t going to clear the trees on the strip. Instinct made me throttle back a bit as I flew between the trees and I lost a bit of velocity. Throttle back to full and realised a 50/50 chance of hitting power wires so oborted late. The craft was floating almost on the ground when I realised she would hit the fence so instinct made me hit full power and I lept over the fence and skimmed across the road, dodging a concrete fence post (luckily with no fence attached) and under the neighbour"s power wires only to be staring at the neighbours mango trees. Somehow I cleared the trees and continued to Noonamah.

Max, mate, dont you know the trick to maken your own headwind ona still day?

Comment

I guess to have a mate"s machine in the front

Comment

When are one of you smart buggers going to invent clip on micro blade tip rockets?

Comment

Sounds like ya got lucky ;Don tight 100-300m strips like that, with no wind or the armstrong prerotator I will always do the fast taxi run up the strip then down, then turn around again having near on full RRPM take off... only works if ya have a good turning circle and don"t stuff around.

Comment

not good form trying to take out the only instuctor and TA in the Territory :-[ there are to few gyronaughts here as it is. the trees will go before trying to kill you agin

Comment

Max, power to weight mate, power to weight. [ and a proper prespinner.] [i] I guess to have a mate"s machine in the front

Comment

Sorry Birdy

Comment

As far as being the best instructor ?... lets just say his the best one I"ve met

Comment

Firstly, i dont instruct, and if your go"n to be usen a gyro for work, Max is the man to see.

Comment

Dam shame I"m still not allowed to use the indigenous airstrip only 15 km away for training, which saves lives (without paying a kings ransom) but you can"t stop a fly landing on your sandwich! ;D

Comment

Working...
                      X