Questions from a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from a newbie

OK. First post, from a long-time lurker. So, be patient, please.

1;I"d recon the rudder be"n in the lower half prop wash needs to be deflected like that coz the air comn off the prop is striken the rudder at an angle.2;cant draw pic on ere so im no help.3;generaly, centered in the wash will give the best results, but it depends on wot you want to do in your gyro.

Comment

Boots..have a gecko at this link:http://www.rotorcraft.com.au/search....hang+testThere is a fair amount of detail on that link to get through. I tried the same search on this site but the wealth of information that was here seems to have evaporated, and there was heaps of really good stuff here before some b.. stuffed it.Cheers,Nick.

Comment

Paul, this may help your passion with diagrams. Aussie Paul

Comment

Part two

Comment

Last part.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

NewbieTraining is still available at Goulburn, every Saturday.I may have a second hand gyro suitable for you.Best thing is to come down and have

Comment

Thanks, Ross.

Comment

Paul, any rudder that dont cover the full span of the wash will have to have a trimmed offset.Its never parralell with the keel wen cruisn, coz the airflow isnt parralell.If the machine is reasonably symetrical in drag [ equal drag on both sides of the keel] the machine should still fly feet off with the rudder self centering to the flow.You only need trimm tabs if the machine has more drag on one side, maken it yaw off line. Most machines, if not all [open ones at least] will have unequal drag, so sum trimm will be needed. [ just the pilots arms, one on the stick and the other pickn his nose, is enuff to make the machine yaw.]IOW, if it flys streight with the feet off, you dont need to fix anythn, no matter where the rudder rests.BUT, if the feet off with the rudder centered to the airflow has it close to one of the limits, you may need to rearrange the setup, coz you could run outa rudder one side under low AS.Anatha thing that could be maken that machine fly with so much rudder deflection in that flic is the fairly low AS. The lower the AS, the greater influence the P facter has under power, and that little direct drive machine with a pretty heafty bloke sitn init was strugglen, so the P factor would be comen into play as well. [ and to counter the P facter with a left hand rotation prop, you need to stand on the right rudder.]Sorry for the rambln, but you did ask a few questions there

Comment

No need to apologise Birdy.

Comment

Paul,You are a fixed wing pilot.I"m sure you can appreciate there are critical differences and I am sure Ross will fill you in on them, he is a passionate operator and as I know him, a good trainer.Just don"t let your natural "FW" reactions kill you, and most of all, take it very slowly - don"t rush yourself to the point where your confidence is past the level of your abilites, as some have discovered to their regret and that of many others that FW reactions are inappropriate in a gyro.Enjoy many flights, not just a few.. please, before you fly, remind yourself "this is very different from a cessna".Cheers,Nick.

Comment

I never was a risk-taker, Nick.

Comment

Paul,You are a fixed wing pilot.I"m sure you can appreciate there are critical differences and I am sure Ross will fill you in on them, he is a passionate operator and as I know him, a good trainer.Just don"t let your natural "FW" reactions kill you, and most of all, take it very slowly - don"t rush yourself to the point where your confidence is past the level of your abilites, as some have discovered to their regret and that of many others that FW reactions are inappropriate in a gyro.Enjoy many flights, not just a few.. please, before you fly, remind yourself "this is very different from a cessna".Cheers,Nick.Nick, a correctly set up gyroplane is NOT that different from a Cessna at all. ???Aussie Paul.

Comment

I never was a risk-taker, Nick.

Comment

Working...
                              X