Help out a mate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help out a mate

Guys, we are all aware a fellow member [ Paul B ] is going through a bad time. PB"s life revolves around gyros,you love him, you hate him, you love him.............ok, what"s the views that we as fellow members pass the hat around to help out a mate that is down. Maybe asra could setup a donation fund account, that could then be passed on to PB"s family.............how about it ????????????
    If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time

Good idea Russ. Only to happy to help out in any way possible.

Comment

Yes that is what we as Aussie mates are all about Russy. Thanks for the thread start, just set it up and we will help how ever we can. Des Garvin

Comment

Count me in Russ.With thousands of accumulated training hours both here and abroad, Paul must have trained hundreds of pilots in Gyros.A standup way to say thankyou is to remember that now.Would be nice if ASRA board ran this and set up a fund given we are talking about a past president and one of the very few active ASRA CFIs nationally.Mike

Comment

Yep, count me in. Dont know circunstances but if it could happen to a pilot with his experience, it could happen to any of us. His dreams were shattered that day.

Comment

Very good. Now what should we do for Geoff Jamisons family?

Comment

Not wantn to sound cinical, but wot bout Keith Holms?Fairs fair.

Comment

Yea, after i started the thread i thought exactly what Graeme and Dave have now raised..... I decided to let it just run....as is. So................now we"ve got a bigger picture to address here, our recently lost mates, their families, and our mate/s fighting for good health.To get this topic openly discussed is perhaps sensitive, but we are talking about mates / families that are hurting real bad. Our mates, right here.Ok, a suggestion came up privately.........maybe we asra setup a "fund" that is there to draw upon in some small way to help out in times of crisis.Another suggestion was for asra to look into an insurance policy, that provided cover for funeral expenses.That"s enough out of me for the minute, I"m keen to hear others responses. We have to sort this topic, coz we are talking about mates hurting bad.cheers........

Comment

I hear ya Russ. Apart from the him being a long time member/instructor etc, he has been personally very good to me. Count me in. Ditto Jamo. I seem to remember Murray started something similar for Keith, which was well supported.CheersFred

Comment

Dave, i hear you........but at the minute i"m focusing on medical / life. [ christ is this awkward ]Just recently i proposed a change to our web site format, it is being discussed within board, this very topic here, is a classic topic of "inhouse" access only [ financial members only ].......more to come on that.

Comment

Agreed on all in or forget the play. After a weekend of flying and catching up with Geoff"s Dad, Keith Jamieson and Geoff"s son Jade along with Jades Mum, Lyn, I have been thinking about some sort of memorial to Geoff that ASRA would officially sanction due to the fact that we have an ASRA Instructor who lost his life as a result of injuries sustained whilst instructing a fellow ASRA Member/Student Pilot. In fact it is widely held that Geoff sustained substantial injuries as a result of attempts he made to get his student out of the burning wreck. Surely we can have some sort of memorial for such Instructors lost in this way, and in no way intended to lessen the absolute significance of others killed whilst flying gyros . For those not lost to us, our prayers, hopes for a speedy recovery and a flower fund have been the traditional response. Paul"s very good friends no doubt will be assisting his family privately.It all gets a bit messy when the "numbers" are up and we start talking about money funds for everybody. I"m heartened by the latest reports on Paul and hopeful of a speedy recovery. I think the forums should only be for members. Struth! How hard is it for someone to become a member? It"s not.Just my two Bobs worth!Mitch.

Comment

Russle, ever opened a can of worms before?Of course I am happy to help in any way I can But, the whole thing needs to be kept simple. I can see a good idea getting complicated and a voulenteer board member getting more work trying to administer a fund that in an ideal world, we should never have to use.If you want to keep it simple, you need to set up a tread on the site that gives both the unfortunate persons bank details (BSB number and account number) for those who want to donate via bank transfer and, a postal address for those who would send a chq.Doing it this way, would take any pressure off ASRA having to start a fund, having to administer it and having to apportion money in the fund to an individual (something that would certainly leave ASRA open to critisism at some point in the future.)You have come up with a great idea and Im sure that many members would take the opportunity to help the individuals or families that are placed in a poor position due to an accident while enjoying our sport.Do onto others......Mark.

Comment

A lot of good points made in all of this. It certainly would open up a can of worms.From a legal point of view an incorporated Association cannot be involved but that is not to say that collections cannot be made privately and passed on, as long as the name ASRA is not implicated. (eg Keith Holmes)Part of the can of worms is who takes preference over another, and just where do you draw the line (death of an Instructor, death of a student, death of a member, serious injury of all of the above etc, etc, etc. - Also "why did you send a reef to Joe Bloggs and not to my friend John Smith?"Of course if it a private initiave then there is no arguement or problem. A memorial on behalf of ASRA sounds like a valid suggestion, but I suppose it would have to be worded in a general manner rather than naming an individual.A good topic Russ that has provoked good discussion

Comment

Nicely put, Mark & Tim. I guess that generally, those close to the people involved will know the circumstances (financial etc) of the injured party. It then only takes a message posted with the relevant postal details/ bank details and a message saying "hey, Joe Bloggs is doing it a bit tough". Those that want to help, then can. I suspect that in most cases, a card and best wishes is all that would be needed (unless otherwise advised).Tim, with Jamo, (with your legal hat on), would it be appropriate for a group of members to erect a memorial with words something like " ..... from fellow flyers and members of the gyro flying community" or "...... from fellow members of the Australian Sports Rotorcrat Assoc."? Something along those lines?Cheers

Comment

I"m with Mark on this, if someone wants to help out, let them post details on a thread here and then its up to those who wish to donate. If someone wants to do a memorial, fine but I think its up to the individual members /clubs that should be involved, not ASRA as the can of worms is way too big and ASRA has enough on its plate.With the greatest of respect to everyone, I"m not a memorial person. Thats my opinion. BTW Mark, I reckon Russ has played with cans of worms before. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X