New Pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pilots

Ok Brian i read the article that you wanted me to read.... thanks Ok i want to let you guys know how i feel and the way i see it from a beginners point of view... only my view ... but other young guys see it this way to from around this area....I have been sitting back for the last 8 months on this forum just reading and trying to soak in general things about gyros.... the way you fly them..... the way you make them..... and why you make them like you do...I understand that you cant go out and jump into a gyro from reading this forum..... but it does offer a general basis of terminolgy and circumstances that helps you realise if flying gyros is for you....1.... You have finally got

Lear"n to ride a bike and lear"n to drive a gyro are worlds apart in the safety aspect.If you crash a bike, you fall 2 foot at most, and generaly still in first gear.has really taught them selvesIv said for years, lear"n to operate a gyro is no harder or complex than any other flyn, driven or floatn machine.Its the learn to FLY that demands the greatest respect, and that takes thousands of hours.The instructer, in every machine, only teaches you how to operate the machine.You teach yourself, over time, to get the floatn, driven or flyn down pat.And the reason why flyn is so much more complex is coz you cant "see" the road your driven on, and to make it that much more of a challenge, the "road" is in 3D.it comes across that pilots that go through all the training by a CFI still hit the ground and or get killedThe same can be said for cars n boats.It all boils down to RESPECT,................ for the machine, and an appreciation of your lack of ability/ experiance, so far.But, solong as humans continue to float on water, travel along the ground at speeds mum nature didnt intend, or try to fly, [ all of which we arnt designed to do, mentaly or phisicaly]we will have misshaps.The above may not make any sense cause im not the best at writing or spellingAll clear as crystal Narn, your no different to the rest of us. The fact that sum seem to accumulate thousands of hours without die"n prooves that it can be dun, by mear mortals. cause from this forum it appears that even the best pilots come unstuck in gyros who have been probably trained by a CFI...Only if you live in a ball of cotton wool will you not have a stack at some stage. And i wouldnt even garantee that.BTW, remember Brocky? Austrailias best race car driver? How did he die?Ill be the first to admit that the instructer/cfi standard in this country aint fool proof, but from wot iv heard, its the best in the world.If your not prepared to accept some risk in an activity that puts you in an unnatural situation, then life is not for you.Where in this forum does it help beginners like my self want to go to a CFIGive me a ring.

Comment

Pretty well said Birdy!I think its terrific Narn that you are telling us how you see things and its appreciated because the system is changing all the time and there is still much to do and input from all is needed to know what things and how they need to be changed /modified etc.A couple of things I would like to comment about, instruction by a CFI. Well, there are no quarantees the CFI will not crash, however, the likehood is what I would call fairly safe to assume he will not. Obviously, some instructors are better pilots than other"s and when you think about it, for the hours flown in Australia by gyro"s, the accident rate isnt as bad as it might look and ASRA are in the process of doing stuff to make it safer and will continue to strive to get instructors instructing better. We are seeing a whole crop of new 2 seater gyros operating that will further enhance safety.However, being trained by the best CFI in the best gyro isnt going to make anyone bullet proof !! A licence being granted is actually a licence to go away and further learn. I learn every day I fly.To answer no 1. I take your point but in a gyro, a rotor strike is possibly going to cost you $7 or 8 thou nowdays so you mightant loose any skin but the wallet impact is high! Prang a ELA and the cost could be $80 thou or so, big bikies. And that applies to No 2 as well.Going through the instructor process will most certainly help you to become a pilot who should not have an accident. I know enough to say that there is a very compelling reason to drive even 10 hours [one way] to get instruction and pay whatever it costs to learn. To me its cheapThe forum probably isnt the best place to draw conclusions as it"s a representation of those who frequent it as there are many many pilots that are not on the forums who are just out there flying around safe and sound. Its a fun place [most of the time] & you get to see characters that you normally might never hear about and the things we do and have done, the good bits and the stuff ups cause it gives the chance to people like yourself to get to understand a bit about gyros and their world.

Comment

Brian and Birdy Thanks for that.im just trying to let you guys know how it can come across from a beginner looking in.I appreciate your comments.Narn

Comment

Narn mate,

Comment

Birdy,Do you really think that everyone will have a gyro crash at some time?

Comment

Disco, Complacencey may be, no will be the one that gets you with lots of hours as we are all human and stuff up some time. That some time is usally when in a position where it requires all your learned skills normally, to achieve the task at hand. No matter what activity we are doin. Cheers Des Garvin.

Comment

Do you really think that everyone will have a gyro crash at some time? Yep. ill bet my balls onit.Anyone who thinks otherwise is one of those people that hold the "itll never happen to me" attitude.Wen will it happen?How long isa pice of string?One thing is for sure, if you fly for long enuff, you"ll have an "incident".............. eventualy.But by no means, dose that mean your go"n to get hurt, or even bend the machine.The longer it takes before you have your first bingle, the better your chances of getn out of it without a scratch, or even bent alu.Theres a million things just waitn for their chance to catch you off guard, and solong as your mortal like the rest of us, your guard will drop, eventualy. [ think its called complacency]For those lucky or smart enuff to clock a few hundred hours practice before the first time, your chances are much better than sumone who gets caught with a sudden "quite" in their first few hours.Constantly testn yourself and the machine while your gain"n that precious practice time will have you walkn away with a parked machine, instead of crawln away from a wreck.Those who think itll never happen to them and dont constantly test are fooln themselves, and are garanteed to get more than a bruised ego wen they do find they are no better than everyone else.If you always give yourself the best chanceS [ you can never have too many options] opssible to suit your ability level, then at least wen murphy dose strike, you"ll not have much at all to ponder on your way in, coz itll come natural.

Comment

Oh Mr Bird the Messiah :"( Kym.

Comment

Do you really think that everyone will have a gyro crash at some time? Yep. ill bet my balls onit.Anyone who thinks otherwise is one of those people that hold the "itll never happen to me" attitude.Constantly testn yourself and the machine while your gain"n that precious practice time will have you walkn away with a parked machine, instead of crawln away from a wreck.You know im waiting for time that this says something that sounds like a crack of ****,,,,,, guess i be waitin.Just yesterday, i was in the red machine assisting some moos in the right direction home, and might i say i had a few tight seat moments, just the normal run of the day things feel and perform differently in a bigger 2 seat machine,

Comment

Oh Mr Bird the MessiahThanx kimbo, comen from you, that means so much. At least you make it blatently obvious to new pilots and forum lurkers that your definatly the one to listen to ??? :P Not sure wot your first line siad Bones ??? But as for the bent necs, i gota new leveler for um now, Harry"s BIG brother.

Comment

SO Birdy, Your saying that for a conservative careful pilot that isn"t being distracted by bystanders when setting up etc, the main thing to worry about is an engine failure?I hope that"s what your saying cause i recon I"m pretty right with that.

Comment

SO Birdy, Your saying that for a conservative careful pilot that isn"t being distracted by bystanders when setting up etc, the main thing to worry about is an engine failure?Enigne OR pilot failure.Your in comand of the machine and itll do wotever you tell it to do,....... that includes crashn.

Comment

You know im waiting for time that this fella says something that sounds like a crack of ****,,,,,, guess i be waitin.Sorry i forgot one word.Now see if this work now, damn tried to post this 3 different ways it dont want to work tonight.

Comment

Still don"t follow what you"re saying bones.

Comment

Working...
                              X