Fire Fire Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Fire Fire

Right, now I have your attention. With ASRA"s survery, we do 2 tests, the hang test and the balance test, now, its been put to me by someone who I wont name but has a lot of knowledge that the

Uncle Chop Chop...

Comment

"He", is incorrect Brian. The machine will have a different tilt angle after the axle is shifted. This will then intersect the hang test at the same CofG as before the axle was shifted. The hang test will also have a different angle in each axle location as well due to the weight of the axle being in a different position. The only way to prove it without complicated maths is to conduct two ASRA tests with the axle in the two different locations. Hope this helps.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Uncle Reid This is not the first time I have heard this argument. Every time I hear it, my first thought is "he has no idea what is going on and how this all works" I once saw a Myth Buster program where they tried to get an ultralight to take off on a conveyor system which was running in the opposite direction to the plane. The question was "would an aircraft take off a conveyor system if its takeoff speed was matched by a convayor system running in the opposite direction. Well this argument is very similar as people are focusing on the axle and not on the CofG. OK Baby steps FIRST.The RAF2000 hangs 9 degree"s (lets pressume)If we move the axles rearwards then the machine will no longer hang at 9 degrees.We will now have to move the head back in order to acheive 9 degrees again.In doing this we have now moved the machines CofG rear only!!!! but its hight has not changed.The only way its hight will change is if we move something up or down, or add weight top or bottom.Thats as simple, as my simple mind can explain it.P.S Disco is correct, the CofG can be found by balancing the machine on its axles and then on its nose or tail. The further appart (eg 90 degree"s out of phase) the better.Below is a picture of 2 gyro"s being hung from different points to acheive the same outcome.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys, well done, I believe the above is as

Comment

Example, he claims that there is a RAF that is showing near CLTThat bloke shoulda dun the test BEFORE he cracked the slab, not after. As has been stated before, it wouldnt matter where you balanced the machine, the COM will still be directly over the balance point.The center of any machines mass dosnt move.These pix are to find out, very accuratly, where it is, not where we want it.

Comment

Just outta Interest how much are the rafs out by?? gotta do one soon as we get a h/stab for it... ;D

Comment

Just outta Interest how much are the rafs out by?? gotta do one soon as we get a h/stab for it... ;DTrent, RAFs are around 10.5" or 266mm two up with 1/2 fuel, approx. 1320 lbs or 600 kg.Aussie Paul.

Comment

Thanks Paul.

Comment

So Sam if you did the hang test as shown in the pics attached the 2 intersecting lines will give you the centre of gravity is that correct? This looks easier than having to balance the machine on its mains.Rob

Comment

Correct, and yes, hangn is safer on your own n balancing it.Balance it or hang it or one of both, the two lines will intersect at the COM.

Comment

Double correct ;D

Comment

Where are all those that believe the balance test is flawed ?

Comment

Probably the same place the people that argue about the benefits of CLT are.

Comment

Where are all those that believe the balance test is flawed ?Probably the same place the people that argue about the benefits of CLT are.That"s the spot where you guys used to be, isn"t it? I just couldn"t help myself!!!!! I know, I know, try harder!!!! ;DAussie Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X