Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magni M22, ELA Turbo 08 or Auto gyro MTO Sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magni M22, ELA Turbo 08 or Auto gyro MTO Sport?

Hi All,Long time reader, first time poster!So I"m looking at a new gyro and have the Magni M22, the ELA 08 Turbo or the Auto gyro MTO Sport in the picture for purchase.They all look like pretty good machines. Solidly built, good engines and solid history. I know the MTO Sport has had it"s issues but I think they are only minor and have been sorted out.I"m going to be using it for cross country flying, with a passenger most of the time and looking at doing some trips.Can anyone help me out trying to decide? As I said they all look pretty good so I"m having issues making my mind up.If there is anything else that would be worth looking at I"m open to suggestions. I"ve thought about an enclosed machine but I think I prefer the extra speed and lighter weight the open units offer. Also I like the idea of being in the elements.Pros or cons would be appreciated. I look forward to some helpful replies.Thanks in advance!

I"m going to be using it for cross country flying, with a passenger most of the time and looking at doing some trips.I like the idea of being in the elements.Pros or cons would be appreciated. I look forward to some helpful replies.Thanks in advance!Tell me you still feel the same way after a couple hundred hours

Comment

Ha!

Comment

Dont forget that that the MTO has a lifespan on the frame. Being out in the elements is fine but most cabed gyros can be flown without the doors giving you the best of both worlds.The Kruza is well worth a close look, the Suby powerplant is very reliable and a lot cheaper than the Rotax which is unquestionably, the premier power plant [912 /914 ]I know the ELA dealer Neil very well and can assure you you would be getting very good dealer support plus you are getting the better gyro [by a whsker] in the tandem range.[ My humble biased opinion]The Xenon is very well proven as a fast cross country gyro plus you get to sit next to your mate which to me is the only way to go unless your mate has bad BO

Comment

BTW, I think you will find that cruising /top speed etc, are all pretty close.

Comment

Hi JordyYes the Rotax 4 strokes are a fantastic tried and tested engines. If you also consider the amount of Subaru"s currently flying and in operation around the world you would probably find a similar story. As far as Gyroplanes are concerned the RAF 2000"s, Sparrow Hawk"s, Rosco"s, and many countless home built single & two seater"s have successfully used the many different models of Subaru. Currently most 2 seater"s are using the newer 2.5Lt EJ25, rated for 165hp. This is a fuel injected, twin overhead cam, variable valve, alloy boxer motor.The technology used in these motors far surpasses Rotax by a mile. I have heard people say things like "they aren"t designed to run at the RPM"s you currently run them at" Can I say that at 4000 to 5200rpm max tHIS IS A VERY EASY ASK from such motors. The key is proper fuel management systems and regulation. The other advantages are parts are available anywere, a new replacement motor is usually a quarter the price of a rotax and any mechanic can work on them.This is my first Suby and so far it has been the most reliable part of any gyro I have owned so far. I have also heard people question the machines weight and performance. Can I tell you Ive flown many single and 2 seat machines and its performance is right up there. As far as speed is concerned Brian is as right as can be. Gyro speeds are all very similar and any manufacturer stating large advances in the speed range without and reduction in blade size is simply full of Sh ;D t.My advise for what its worth is, before making any decisions, ensure you fly the gyro"s first then compare before making your decision.Good LuckRegards SamL......................GTG KRUZA on Utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3rqBkxiO4
            Attached Files

Comment

G"day Jordy,
              Attached Files

Comment

There is also two other options Golden and Turbo Golden Butterfly"s with Variable pitch prop, still 30-60K cheaper than the European imports.www.thebutterflyllc.comclick on Golden or Turbo Golden Butterfly"s.Mitch.

Comment

What is the life span on the MTO frame?

Comment

What is the life span on the MTO frame?

Comment

Gee,

Comment

1500hrs...............thats a looong time for weekend flyers, like 10+ yrs.

Comment

1500hrs .....unless you happen to bend it before that you"ll be looking at about $26k for a new frame + labour . Aus made aluminium frame 2 x 2.5" about $200 a length + labour . Mast change - half a day work , new AN bolts , new rod ends .... less than $500.

Comment

1500hrs...............thats a looong time for weekend flyers, like 10+ yrs.Thats true but its surprising how quick 10 years goes and you may well find you do more hours than you think cause there aint anything like gyro flying !!!! All the gyros mentioned above are perfectly good cross country machines and Australia has lots of lovely places to see and go to.

Comment

It"s great to have options. Some people don"t want the holden ute, but would prefer to buy a Porsche from Germany. The MTO frame inspection at 1500 hrs is by non-destructive means and not replacement. Isn"t an inspection like this a good thing from a safety point of view? I don"t have an issue with it as an owner.I have found the service from Hunter Jones at Autogyro Australia to be excellent. He has taken care of the initial AD"s in a very professional manner.

Comment

Working...
                              X