No announcement yet.

Gyros on floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ops Manual section 2.03Endorsements,Gyroglider,Gyroplane,Radio Operator,Passenger Carriage,Cross Country,Formation,Waterborne.Not sure if any Waterborne endorsements have been issued

Comment

Ops Manual section 2.03Endorsements,Gyroglider,Gyroplane,Radio Operator,Passenger Carriage,Cross Country,Formation,Waterborne.Not sure if any Waterborne endorsements have been issuedHmmm well looks like i need to make a few phone calls then, cause i wonder who would have to give that endosement? if none ever done it in a gyro in Oz that could make it a bit interesting. The guy interested has a GA float endorsement for the 206 he ownes, so i guess that would carry over in a sense. Damn not sure i would want to be the first to try it, without someone who knows what the hell they are doing. Like i got no problem taking any gyro off any surface of terra ferma,, but there is sharks and stuff in the water stuff.

Comment

i had a gyro on floats about 5 years ago,they were quicksilver floats,i lengthened them about 500mm because they were

Comment

Hey Col,How about something like this.

Comment

Hi Col,Here is another discussion you may not have seen.Has the strip dried out yet?http://www.asra.org.au/smf/index.php...2.0RegardsBill

Comment

Ops Manual Section 2.05 - 10:"Waterborne Operations - Reserved"ASRA does not have an endorsement for floats at this time. There was no call for one when the Manual was written, hence the above.A training syllabus/experience requirements would need to be written prior to CASA approval of such an endorsement. Thereafter lies the inevitable problems associated with where could they be operated from, bearing in mind the minimum height requirement under the CAOs. Not sure of the legalities of taxiing on water either. Would some maritime aurhority get in on the act and say it has to be registered with them as well?As I"m not in the chair anymore, I"d suggest that serious enquiries be directed to the Ops Manager. Murray just loves this sort of thing!!Regards,Allan.
              Waddles

In aviation, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Comment

Float planes need a watercraft licence and the pilot needs a motorboat licence. When its on the water they have to obey the same rules as a tinny. (from a Sydney harbour charter boat captain)

Comment

Float planes need a watercraft licence and the pilot needs a motorboat licence. When its on the water they have to obey the same rules as a tinny. (from a Sydney harbour charter boat captain)Charter boat, what charter boat?

Comment

most people survive a taxiing rollover on dirt,on water there is the added danger of drowning strapped into an overturned ,rapidly sinking aircraft, so if we do get an endorsement from an instructer you would want to make sure this person has had time in the saddle on water and is not just book learned, i reckon a jet ski covering every run for a quick response in case of trouble would be advisable, the ultralight pilots i know who flew off water say the aircraft became super stable with that added weight below acting like a big pendulum ,so now the dilemma

Comment

I would suggest anyone contemplating this sort of thing to get some sort of float training in another type of aircraft before contemplating going it alone.As Alan said we have no endorsement as yet so anything above taxiing not legal.As already mentioned gyro pilots would need a speedboat licence but the gyro (or fixed wing) do not carry boat registration. It is already (I hope) registered with ASRA and cannot display another registration type.

Comment

I would suggest anyone contemplating this sort of thing to get some sort of float training in another type of aircraft before contemplating going it alone.As Alan said we have no endorsement as yet so anything above taxiing not legal.As already mentioned gyro pilots would need a speedboat licence but the gyro (or fixed wing) do not carry boat registration. It is already (I hope) registered with ASRA and cannot display another registration type.how does a speedboat license apply to a craft that is not registered for use on water? that sounds completely absurd to me. i think one would be better off getting info from a seaplane operator before a harbour ferry captain.trikes/microlights can be used with floats. i would be fairly sure gyros would operate under the same rules in the event there is nothing specfied by rotorcraft body.

Comment

ok i correct myself. i checked and one does require a boat license!

Comment

Working...
                          X