R 44's grounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R 44's grounded

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-21/possible-fault-grounds-popular-helicopter-model/6180406"All R44 helicopters fitted with main rotor blades P/N C016-7 are now grounded after a fatal accident in New Zealand. "Which im guessing means most of the R44"s in oz will be affected, you should see the posts for machines wanted for cross hire in the last couple of days, if you have a machine not affected you can name your price

It seem that 44s are becoming very expensive to operate.

Comment

I share a hangar with a R44 and the owner keeps scratching his head every time I go flying for about $ 20 -30 bucks an hour and whether his ability to hover in the first and last twenty seconds of his flights are worth the $ 600.00 bucks an hour it costs him, not to mention the half a million that it set him back in the first place.He is lucky though his rotors aren"t affected by the AD.

Comment

I guess the 44"s main advantage is the 4 seats though I"m not sure you can have full tanks & 4 POB.Whilst I only have less than an hour flying a 22, it was a very addictive satisfying blast !

Comment

Your right Chopper there is something special about a helicopter, but you would have to be pretty well off to own one just for fun. My 44 hangar mate does joy flights and charter work and reckons he only breaks even.

Comment

It appears that they have reversed the grounding because they say both accidents were caused by other damage, the faulty blades were not a design issue, the cracks were a symptom, not a cause. So, this is either true, or Robinsons are trying to stay afloat? It will be interesting to see if now that robbo pilots will be checking their rotors carefully (hopefully) if they will find any more failing blades? Time will tell

Comment

It appears that they have reversed the grounding because they say both accidents were caused by other damage, the faulty blades were not a design issue, the cracks were a symptom, not a cause. So, this is either true, or Robinsons are trying to stay afloat? It will be interesting to see if now that robbo pilots will be checking their rotors carefully (hopefully) if they will find any more failing blades? Time will tell

Comment

Working...
              X